The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a doe that kidded 12 days ago, her milk is still tasting off, do I have to wait longer for her to get the sweet tasting milk?
My milking routine is the exact same as last years and her milk was good and sweet (bought her without her kid so I’m not sure how long it was after she kidded)
I read somewhere it might be because of a mineral deficiency? I’ve been out of loose minerals for a few weeks, would that be the reason?
Or is she eating something she shouldn’t? She free ranges and has access to hay and alfalfa pellets and gets grain on the stand x2 a day. Her kid is still on her if that makes any difference.

·
Super Moderator
58,903 Posts
Can be either or both. She definitely needs loose minerals daily. But it can take a good 2 weeks for milk to taste good after kidding.

·
Registered
354 Posts
You can try a copper bolus. My toggenburg doe had bitter milk for a month after kidding, and after trying everything from a mastitis test to not giving her any herbal wormer because I thought the bitterness was coming from the bitter herbs, I finally tried the copper bolus. It got way better after that, so a month later I gave her another one. Now it's similar to my other does.

However, some plants in your pasture could be making the milk taste a little goaty. I'm in california and there's a bush called coyote bush that they love and if my does eat it, it makes the milk taste goaty.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts