Milk testing!

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by eliya, May 2, 2009.

1. eliya

eliya New Member

I know you all probably wonder what happened to me. I did NOT fall of the face of the earth, but have been very busy with my goats. We had 36 MiniNubian kids born here this year (within 2 weeks!!!) and a lot has been happening. One of the things is milk testing. I'm really excited about this. Anyway, I got my first test results back from the lab and I'm pretty excited about some of the numbers. I'm still learning about what they all mean, but thought I'd share some with you. All the does tested were between 31 and 17 days fresh. I'd love to know what you think of these numbers. If you know of any websites that help explain what each number means and what is typical for a doe I'd like to know all that also. This is my first time milk testing so I don't know what is average.

Anyway, here are a few of the numbers:
    Misty did really well on butterfat - she had 5.56% butterfat on her first test this year (at 29 days fresh)! Her daughter (Raisin) and granddaughter (Grace) also had high butterfat - both over 5%. Misty had pretty good amount of milk for a 25" doe - 6.8 lbs.
    'Arthur' milked well in amount - 4.8 at night at 4.2 in the morning for a total of 9 lbs. Her butterfat wasn't bad either - 4.47%.
    Molly milked really well at 4.4 each milking for a total of 8.8#'s. Her butterfat wasn't really high - 3.4% - but usually the heavier milkers are lower in BF from my understanding.
    The other does all did really well in everything too. The BF for the rest of the does was between 3.74 and 5.17. Milk amounts ranged a bit as well. The first fresheners obviously gave less while the older does gave more. The older does all gave well over 5 lbs each. This fall I will have complete milk testing results available for each doe on my website, but just wanted to brag a little now. ;-) :cool:

Thanks for letting me share!

2. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Hey congrats!!! :leap: How exciting!!!! :stars:

3. shadycreekgoats

shadycreekgoats New Member

Mar 23, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    That is great your does are doing so well on milk test! :) I saw that on your website, your doe Ivory had six kids!! :leap: That is the most I've heard of! :) Sounds like you are really busy with kidding season. :) Are you having a buck or doe year? (just wondering :greengrin: )

4. eliya

eliya New Member

Had a buck year - again. Maybe that means next year will be a doe year. We had ...
    :boy: :boy: :boy: :boy: :boy: :boy: :boy: :boy: :boy: :boy: :boy: :boy: :boy: :boy: :boy: :boy: :boy: :boy: :boy: :boy: :boy: :boy:
    :girl: :girl: :girl: :girl: :girl: :girl: :girl: :girl: :girl: :girl: :girl: :girl: :girl: :girl:
    22 bucklings and 14 doelings this year.
    All the does have kidded so I'm done now. All but one of the kids that I am not retaining are sold. We are keeping 5 doelings and 1 buckling. You can get to pictures from my breeding schedule page. I haven't added them to the kids page yet. I'll hopefully be posting pictures to the forum sometime (when I get a few spare moments).

5. powderhooves

powderhooves New Member

Jan 29, 2009
    Oh W-O-W! And....I thought I was busy. You got me beat hands down! Congratulations.

6. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Wow! Congrats on all those kiddo's and the moms doing so well on the test. I am so interested in the milk testing....and do lots of reading on it!

You'll get bunches of does next year!

7. shadycreekgoats

shadycreekgoats New Member

Mar 23, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    Congrats!!!!! :leap: :stars: :)