The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my 2 does kids are about 6 months now and they are still feeding off their moms and taking most of the milk. If I lock them up at night I can get plenty of milk in the morning but figured by 6mos they would be off by now. Any advice on how to keep them off the moms without having to lock them up?

·
Goat Girl
2,018 Posts
You can try taping the moms teats, but they will most likely get the tape off. The only way to really wean them is to separate them completely. Some does will wean the kids on their own, but some won't.

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts
need to separate till the moms are dry. Its a 50/50 chance the moms wont stop the kids from trying to eat even after a long separation. here, we separate at weaning and the kids dont see their moms again until they have had babies of their own.

·
Super Moderator
83,191 Posts
Yes, separation is best at this time, 6 months old, is old enough to wean.

I separate for 1 month to dry up the Doe's. Then tape them before letting them with their babies. I will re-tape again, if the tape is removed. I do this for another 2 weeks, by then, the kids get the hint. ;)

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lol..the problem is I want to keep milking my does and not dry them up. I just want to figure out a way to keep the kids from feeding off the moms

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
Do you really want the extra milk and extra work? This is just for me and everyone does it their way. I never wean. I leave it up to Mom and baby. I have had pregnant does nursing from their mom. They always have it figured out by the time there are new babies in the spring. (I have never had a Mom, daughter, grand-daughter daisy chain.)
This way, I only have to milk once a day and if we go away for 2 or 3 days I do not worry about getting someone to milk. I just leave the herd together.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts