* milker reqs... and pedigree eval request **PICS Added**

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by jay13, May 15, 2009.

1. jay13

jay13 New Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Central NC
    I purchased these two gals from a local breeder, they look nice to me but I was wondering about their *s for production if/when I go to get them. The breeder said that their dams were both "gallon milkers" but on the registration paperwork, it looks like she never did get them their stars... maybe she will later? Anyway, here are the links to their pedigrees.

http://www.adgagenetics.org/GoatDetail.aspx?RegNumber=A001462213
    http://www.adgagenetics.org/GoatDetail.aspx?RegNumber=A001462208

They both have the same sire who was rated *B with his sire listed as AI *B and his dam as AI 2*M. So if the girls meet the production requirements to earn their very own stars... what would they be listed as? Also, neither of the dam's dams have their stars so I don't know how likely it will be that their dams will ever be tested.

I'm just curious, thinking about their offspring down the road ect. Any opinions on their pedigrees? I am new to this and have no experience with this at all.

Thanks,

Jay

2. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Re: * milker requirements... and pedigree evaluation requested

I only recognize the pedigrees on the sire's side, Sweet Dreams, Cherry Glen and Sodium Oaks are all really good Alpines lines. On the dam's side, I recognize Nodaway but I don't know much about that herd.

As far as milk stars go (*M) in order to get a milk star the breeder must be participating in DHI milk tests and have their production recorded over a lactation measuring pounds and %'s of butterfat and protien for the doe to qualify for her *M. A doe can also get it through one day tests, but usually it is much harder for them to get their stars through one day tests.

As far as progeny goes, I cannot say or guarantee for sure that they are going to throw nice kids, that will depend upon their quality and also the quality and genetics of the buck that they are bred to.

AI stands for Artificial Insemination, meaning that that animal was a product of an AI breeding. For *B, a buck's dam must have her *M and his sire must have his *B, or his dam must have her *M and his sire's dam must have her *M in order for him to have his *B status.

3. jay13

jay13 New Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Central NC
    Re: * milker requirements... and pedigree evaluation requested

Thanks for the clarification... I was wondering what the AI stood for... was trying to decipher the ADGA website's translation ...lol

I found a couple pics off of the breeder's web page of the parents... Only an udder shot of the one and only awkward side shots of the sire and dam of the other. Any thoughts?

Attached Files: