The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there has got to be threads on this but I have been trying search and am apparently doing it wrong.

Can someone tell me every step of milking. Even its it ridiculously basic. I apparently have missed a couple things. (Like I'm still trying to figure out what this wax plug I was supposed to remove is). Below are a couple silly issues I'm having.

How do you keep hair out of the milk?
What is the teat dip thing you are doing?
Do you do the dip pre and post?
What are you milking into? I'm currently using a mason jar but am curious for other options.
ANYTHING else you think is really basic and everyone should know please let me know. (like milking incorrectly and why its wrong) any other pointers you have. My doe is a Nigerian.

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Pre dip and post dipping are important. For post dipping, I like using fight back. For pre you could use warm water and soap (dawn)
Stainless steel buckets are my favorite since they are the most sanitary. You can find some at Jeffers supply.
When you are milking don't pull on the teat as that could cause it stretch and injure it.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
How do you keep hair out of the milk?
You could shave the udder with electric clippers. But make sure before you drink the milk, you filter it with special milk filters.
https://www.jefferspet.com/products...kqV78bUkxmB3ISj0-Hu_1_pssrc7f7CxoC5zgQAvD_BwE

What is the teat dip thing you are doing?
After you milk, the teat orifces (holes) expand and take a while to close back up. You must disenfect teat so bacteria doesnt get in and cause mastitis.

Do you do the dip pre and post?
Yes. For pre dip, i use baby wipes, but right now, that may be hard to find, so warm water and dawn dish soap with a clean rag will do :)
Post dip, i just take a dip cup filled with iodine and dip the whole teat
https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail...BIXM8bx7uLrZjtqNA9r_ALMZSOpzgtWRoCH8IQAvD_BwE

What are you milking into? I'm currently using a mason jar but am curious for other options.
I just use a stainless steel kitchen mixing bowl :)

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Can someone tell me every step of milking. Even its it ridiculously basic.
First, you want to restrain the doe. A milk stand, or someone else to hold her will do. Give her some grain to keep her occupied.

next, pre clean the teats.

then, you want to take your pointer finger and thumb, an place at the top of the teat.

now, while squeezing with your thumb and pointer finger, put down your middle, ring and pinky finger and squeese.

make sure both sides of the udder are even when you are done.

do untill nothing is coming out anymore. That means she has been milked out. if shes still nursing kids, you may want to leave a little bit, but not a whole lot. She will begin to make more milk, because you milking her is increasing the demand for her milk.

post dip.

Choose wether you are going to milk once or twice daily. If you only milk once daily, choose either morning or evening. do not switch around.

It takes practice, so dont get discouraged!

https://www.google.com/search?q=how...me&ie=UTF-8#kpvalbx=_Y0-mXqaMNoHYsAWa27zIDA72

·
Registered
309 Posts
1. Restrain her on a milking stand or tied to something.
2. Feed her grain or hay to keep her still (I feed my does their grain while I milk).
3. Clean the udder. I buy udder wash and squirt some on a paper towel then wipe the udder. You can also use this time to do an udder massage. I find it helps get the milk flowing.
4. Dry the udder with a clean paper towel or cloth.
5. Get your milking bucket (I use stainless steel. Easy to clean, transport, and isn't breakable for a goat who likes to kick).
6. Squeeze the top of the teat with your thumb and pointer finger to trap milk in the teat.
7. Squeeze the rest of the fingers (middle, ring, and then pinky) to push the trapped milk out into the pail. (REMEMBER TO AIM!)
8. If the milk isn't coming out easily, try gentle massaging the very end of the teat, where the milk comes out.
9. Release the fingers and repeat until you can't get any more to come out.
10. Give the udder a massage and milk it some more.
11. Repeate step 10 until no more milk comes out.
12. Give your doe a good pat and put her out to pasture.
13. Cover the milk with a lid or paper towel to avoid dirt and flies getting in it.
14. Strain the milk through a milk strainer into a container.
15. Putting the container in a bowl with ice water helps it get cold quickly and avoids a goaty flavor. You can also put it in the freezer until it is cold.
16. Put the sealed container in the fridge. You can drink it raw or pasteurize it.
17. Give YOURSELF a pat on the back. (And a hand massage!)
I hope that was helpful! I got as detailed as possible. :)

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
One thing I don't see mentioned is milking the first few squirts into a separate cup. If there are clots or blood in the milk, they will settle down at the ends of the teats and be the first thing milked out. Also, there can be a little bacteria there at the ends of the orifices. Squirt 2-3 squirts of milk into a "strip cup". I prefer a strip cup with a little screen on the top to catch milk clots, blood clots, or bits of tissue. Usually only a couple of little milk clots hit the screen (not a problem), but once in a while there will be lots of milk clots or flakes, a blood clot, or a bit of tissue which alerts me to a possible problem such as a bruised udder or subclinical mastitis developing.

I personally do not chill my milk with ice or in the freezer. I take it straight up to my kitchen after milking, filter it, then put it in the fridge. I've not had a problem with "goaty" tasting milk so I see no point in rapid-cooling it. Feeding your goats the correct mineral mix is the best way to ensure good flavor! ;)

Good luck!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts