Milking 3x per day?

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by fruittartcaprines, Apr 6, 2010.

1. fruittartcaprines

fruittartcaprines New Member

Mar 3, 2010
    Has anyone ever done this?

I'm milking my ND who has kids just once/day, but my new goat does not have kids on her, and she is quite a prolific milker. I know that the more you milk them, the more it stimulates milk production - so would milking 3x a day give you even more milk? Admittedly, it'd take some dedication...so it's more of a musing question than anything else.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I did that one year -- yes it did up the production a little but not majorly so

3. farmgirl1

farmgirl1 New Member

Mar 14, 2010
    Monroeville, NJ
    Never done it. By the way how many hours apart should your milkings be?

4. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Ideally not more than 12 hours apart but if you can find a happy medium for an equal amount of time between 3 milkings a day go for it....I do 4:30am and 4:30 pm because of my work schedule but if I didn't work and was able to do milkings every 8 hours I would.

5. farmgirl1

farmgirl1 New Member

Mar 14, 2010
    Monroeville, NJ
    Thanks! That helped because I will be milking soon and I may do 6:30-6:30 or 7:00-7:00

6. 4kids

4kids New Member

Jul 21, 2009
    I have milked three times a day before. We did it at 6am, noon and 6ish pm. I found that it did increase her production but it also helped me stop a doe that was prone to mastitis from getting it.

7. Shelly Borg

Shelly Borg New Member

Nov 2, 2009
    Redding CA
    I am going to be moving my times to 5 and 5. I found out last year that a later time made it hard to do anything in the evenings.

8. jay13

jay13 New Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Central NC
    I feel like such a sack hound! I milk my gal at 10am and 10pm! its the only time when I don't have my human kids demanding my attention. Thank goodness for barn lights!