The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Goats (of course), Rabbits, chickens, turkeys, ducks and maybe quail soon
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have started milking my FF a couple days ago. She had a single kid and he is 3 weeks old now. He is separated from her at night and is with her for 12 hours during the day. I am getting about a quart of milk a day. Is this a normal amount? She weighs about 40 lbs. She is not quiet a year old. She got pregnant way too young when a buck escaped into her pasture. She is doing fine though and has kept great body condition. My other question is, it doesn't seem like she is totally milking out. Her udder still looks big and hard. I don't want to keep her on the milk stand too long. Should I be milking her out more or is this a normal udder for a FF. She is my first FF.

·
Registered
Here On Oaks-n-Goats Farm We Are Raising Pets, And Mini/Full Sized Backyard Milkers.
2,703 Posts
The udder has lots of thick tissue. But she could be holding back her milk for her kid. That's what my doe did when she had her baby boy.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Didn’t even know they could hold back milk. She might be doing that. I will get some pics of her when I put her on the milk stand this evening and post them. Maybe you guys can help tell me if she has a good udder. I am so new at this.

·
Registered
Here On Oaks-n-Goats Farm We Are Raising Pets, And Mini/Full Sized Backyard Milkers.
2,703 Posts
When my doe "Sparrow" Freshened in January she only had a cup and a half in there. It wasn't even enough to feed her kid so I had to make him a bottle baby and I started milking her. The longer i milked her the more milk she gave. It went from a cup and a half to two cups to 3 cups. But I dried her up already but if I was still milking her I think she would be giving 4 cups.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am excited to hear she has good udders. She’s my favorite goat I have ever had so I would keep her no matter what. Yes, she is still in the pen with her bucking but that is going to change in the next week or two and I will be getting all her milk 😆. I tasted some of it today and it was perfect.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
I am excited to hear she has good udders. She’s my favorite goat I have ever had so I would keep her no matter what. Yes, she is still in the pen with her bucking but that is going to change in the next week or two and I will be getting all her milk 😆. I tasted some of it today and it was perfect.
Its good that you like the taste! And she has a good udder! Lol I cant find any pics of my goat Sparrows udder but i do have this lol

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have started milking my FF a couple days ago. She had a single kid and he is 3 weeks old now. He is separated from her at night and is with her for 12 hours during the day. I am getting about a quart of milk a day. Is this a normal amount? She weighs about 40 lbs. She is not quiet a year old. She got pregnant way too young when a buck escaped into her pasture. She is doing fine though and has kept great body condition. My other question is, it doesn't seem like she is totally milking out. Her udder still looks big and hard. I don't want to keep her on the milk stand too long. Should I be milking her out more or is this a normal udder for a FF. She is my first FF.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts