Milking a goat who's on antibiotics

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by dixiegirl3179, Mar 17, 2011.

1. dixiegirl3179

dixiegirl3179 Done lost her mind...

Jan 20, 2010
    Middleburg, FL
    Hey all

One of my does kidded yesterday, but we lost both kids. We actually had to call the vet out to get one because he was stuck. She was given a shot of LA200 and we're to give her another in 3 days (well 2 now). Anyway..I was told to milk her, but not to drink the milk because of the antibiotics, which makes sense. I have 2 questions though. Would it be safe to feed the milk to my animals? I hate to squirt it onto the ground if it can be used in some way. Also, does anyone know how long after the last dose of LA200 I have to wait to use the milk to make cheese and/or drink? Oh, and one more question..should I milk her all the way out or just a bit to take the pressure off?

Thanks for the help!

2. naturalgoats

naturalgoats New Member

Jan 2, 2011

3. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    If you want to keep her in milk for the duration of her natural lactation of 6+ months, you should milk her 2x a day and totally strip her out.

LA200 has a milk withdrawal time of 6 days after the last injection....and to my knowledge, it won't hurt to give it to other critters, I gave milk that came from my doe that lost her kids last year to my dogs, she was on PenG for 10 days.

4. dixiegirl3179

dixiegirl3179 Done lost her mind...

Jan 20, 2010
    Middleburg, FL
    Thanks for the help ya'll.

I'd like to keep her in milk, but just trying to get milk from her today I can't imagine stripping her completely. I was getting a good flow of milk going, but she has small teats and I can only use my finger and thumb. I'd be out there forever trying to get all of it. I don't have a milk stand though. I can definitely see how having one and sitting on a stool would make the whole thing more comfortable. It would still take a while though lol. I'll keep working on my technique.