The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! This is my first "official" post on here (excluding my intro which can be seen here: http://www.thegoatspot.net/forum/f182/howdy-do-152586/#post1467899 ) and I am trying to sort this out.

We (mom, step-dad, myself, and step-brother) might be moving to a farm and our largest issue is money and time. My step-brother is only with us in the summer and 2 weeks during Christmas because he lives back in Virginia with his biological mother, therefor he can't exactly be very beneficial to the farm.

Money being: losing our equity on our current house, paying for the new ones, reconstruction of the the new house, other miscellaneous jobs around the farm grounds, and commute.
Time being: Caring for the farm and animals, school, work, riding the horse, and --of course-- sleeping!

Anyways, I ask: Can you milk an Angora and drink/sell the milk?

I ask this because that would kill two birds with one stone: We get milk to drink and sell and we can sell the hair. My step-brother and I are both lactose-intolerant and I heard that we would drink goat milk because there is no lactose present. If you can't do both with the Angora, what would you suggest: Get an Angora and sell the hair or get a dairy goat and drink/sell the milk?

Thanks a billion everyone! :)

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
You'll be better off with a dairy goat. You can milk an angora but it won't produce nearly as much or as quality of milk as you would get from a dairy. Plus all that hair.... it's a pain in the bum to be dealing with all that and trying to milk. But you don't want to cut that because you want to keep the fiber as pristine as possible for sale.

You could consider sheep. Some of those are decent milkers and fiber producers.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You'll be better off with a dairy goat. You can milk an angora but it won't produce nearly as much or as quality of milk as you would get from a dairy. Plus all that hair.... it's a pain in the bum to be dealing with all that and trying to milk. But you don't want to cut that because you want to keep the fiber as pristine as possible for sale.

You could consider sheep. Some of those are decent milkers and fiber producers.
Thank you! We were thinking about getting sheep, but who knew you could milk them! Where would one sell the fiber from a sheep or goat?

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Sometimes a shearer or a mill will take it. You can sell in a wool pool. Or you can go to fiber events or get fiber clients.

Here's the deal with fiber, if you want to get top dollar, it needs to be nice and clean. Research the fiber type and breed thoroughly, talk to spinners and or fiber mills. Figure out how to get the most out of your fiber animal. Its not super difficult to have fiber and milk in a sheep but you need knowledge.

Become a spinner and the fiber you produced will be better than if you aren't a spinner.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Do people really drink sheep milk... I read somewhere that it's like 18% fat. When I brought my 2 little wethers home, they gave me some sheeps milk to give them.... Yep it was thick, I tried it and it didn't appeal to me... Maybe there is different breeds of sheep that are better then some.. Sheep tend to be much more skid dish then goats though, just keep that in mind.. I worked with my guys, and they are a bit too friendly:)

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Also it seems that most sheep aren't SUPER friendly, and that could be a problem for milking. Like catching them, getting them on the milking stand, and actually milking them. I dunno. But for milk, you would be better off with an actual dairy goat. But if money is an issue, you need to consider the costs of keeping dairy goats. All the grain, supplements, hay, and basic care.
Just some things to think about ;)

Also,

:welcome:

·
Well, my username says it all... :)
2,751 Posts
My sheep, oh my lord I despise my sheep. Actually, we gave them all away already. We were in the same place as you when we got sheep. Then we did, and that was the biggest mistake of our whole farming lives. TERRIBLE mistake. They almost all have aggresion problems, you can cut them horribly with shearers while learing or pay someone a gracious chunk of money for them to do it and probably still cut them, and milking, ew. I did it for a month because one rejected her lamb. And all that wool and grossness, YUCK. and the milk was never clean, we could not get her trained to be milked, and the milk was thick like melted ice cream. AND they are so food driven that one of our lambs ate so fast he sucked pellets into his lungs and was dead 30 minutes later.

My point is, please don't get sheep! I know for some people they are enjoyable, but I don't want you to go through what we did.

I think, for what you are looking for, you should just get a dairy goat. If angoras were a kill two birds with one stone sort of deal... I think EVERYONE would have them... LOL But you cannot drink and sell the milk because they would hardly be enough for you to drink. Just you, no one else. ;) So I would recommend to you a Nubian...

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Fortunately my 2 wether sheep are very friendly. I had a lady come out yesterday to trim hooves on my big girls (Nubian/Lamancha) and while we were heading into the field she was amazed on how friendly my sheep were. She stopped doing sheep because they were so skittish and hard to catch all the time... She was amazed they came up to her, you can pet them... Etc....

·
Well, my username says it all... :)
2,751 Posts
Our wethers were friendly, but not to each other. I don't think they know anything other than food, pet, run anyway.

·
I'm watching you
22,272 Posts
You would make more by breeding your dairy goats to a meat buck and selling meat kids. Fiber is time consuming and can be difficult to find a market for. You will also want to look into your state laws and make sure that you can legally sell milk or can find a loophole that will allow you to.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts