Milking and vacation

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Michaela Van Mecl, Aug 1, 2020.

1. Michaela Van Mecl

Michaela Van Mecl Active Member

Sep 3, 2018
    Northern Virginia
    What do you guys do when you have a dairy goat in milk and you go away for a few days ?

I normally milk her once in the am and once in the pm; she's a Nubian and produces about a quart a day. We're going out of town this coming Friday and coming back Sunday... I planned on milking her when we leave Friday and and when we get home Sunday afternoon. I had hoped my neighbor would be able to help me but we just did a trial and it was a horrible failure ... I don't think she'll be able to milk her while I'm gone .

Fyi the doe does not have kids that can milk her for us.

2. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    She needs someone to milk her.

She could easily get mastitis otherwise.

amohr1188 and goatblessings like this.

3. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Try asking around local Facebook groups for someone.

4. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    With only a quart in production, you could take her down to 1x per day. Also reach out to any local 4-hrs - they may be willing to help. But do make sure she gets milked.

HMNS, Sfgwife and Michaela Van Mecl like this.
  5. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    This has to be one of the hardest parts about farming...vacations! For years my husband took the kids on vacation once a year while I stayed and took care of things at home. We planned it when Girls were dry..around 3 months bred..no milking, kidding or kids to worry about. Then once a year I took a sisters getaway with my sister. Its just hard to find someone who will take care of things the way you do. But for a quick week end get away its totally doable. Contact the 4 h, your vet, area goat farms (my kids love making extra money taking care of farms..) FB offers opportunities to get recommendation. Always ask for references when you dont know them.

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  7. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    I've been trying to find a goat sitter for does in milk for a LONG time - I really dont plan anything while they are in milk. I'm picky tho who cares for my herd.....

8. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    I have never left my farm in 12 years. (Except a quick trip to the store). I guess if you have a dairy, you give up vacations. (Of which I've never had one of!) :D

In all honesty, if you milked right before you left and as soon as you got home, she probably would be fine. Look at how over uddered the big show goats get. A one time thing isn't the greatest, but I don't think it will hurt her.

9. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    I agree it’s so hard to find dependable help and these are our babies and responsibility, it’s just dang near impossible to have a life and fun :/
    But don’t give up. Happy bleats is right, keep looking! I think the local 4H would be the first call I made. They are HUGE (or supposed to be) in helping their community AND the people that live in it. Plus the kids are usually very eager to add anything to their record book, and doing a community service like this can go in. So I say give that a try first.
    If all else fails, how bad do you NEED her to stay in milk and give you what she is giving you? If it’s not the end of the world if you get less then I would start now and wait just a little longer between every milking before you milk her. Add a extra hour on before you milk her, or if she doesn’t look super full 2 hours. This will totally screw her up on how much she gives you but mastitis is something to try and avoid. You probably won’t get her to milking every what 2 days but she won’t suffer as bad when you do leave.

10. MadHouse

MadHouse Well-Known Member

I think it’s a good idea to have one person as an emergency milker in case something happens to me, even if I broke my wrist or something like that. In my experience it takes more than once to get a substitute used to milking my goats and the goats used to a substitute. The first time is always likely to be a “disaster”, if I just think of the first time I milked.

HMNS likes this.
  11. Michaela Van Mecl

Michaela Van Mecl Active Member

Sep 3, 2018
    Northern Virginia

Thanks everyone ! Now my other doe, also a first refresher , has her daughter who still does a little nursing . I've heard they will dry up naturally if they have a kid ; is that true ? I'm not milking her but her udders are full a lot of the time. Not exploding but, not empty.

12. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    This depends on how heavy a Milker mom is. Some will dry up as she weens her kids. Others will need help, such as decreased feed and such.

toth boer goats likes this.