The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 6 year old Oberhasli doe who is due in 10 days. 5th F. She is huge this year, and her udder is ...quite frankly....astronomical. I'm used to them filling up and getting really large and stretched and shiny before kidding, but this is way, way out of normal. There had to be 2 gallons, easy, in there. I know you aren't supposed to milk any out because of colostrum loss, but I just had to. She couldn't walk, she couldn't lay down, she was in pain. So I milked out a gallon and have frozen it in quart baggies. It was very yellow with colostrum. She still has a huge udder and she can now walk, but I may have to do it again. I know I will have to feed the babies the milked out colostrum to make sure they get what they need. Has this ever happened to anyone out there? What was the outcome?

·
Registered
30,656 Posts
Can you post a picture? I have seen a goat do this and freshened with severe congestion. Udder was super unnaturally large however. I'm hoping your mama is just an over achiever.
Research that I have found still make it unclear to me when colostrum is actually made. Some say some time before kidding other say 30 minutes prior to kidding. Even some say after they kid they let down colostrum. It's been some time since I read up on this. Maybe some one has recent info on this.. Her comfort is important.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I'm in the same boat here with my oberhasli girl! I wish I had some advice for you but I've been trying to answer this question myself with not much luck. :confused:
My poor Stella is hauling this around with 3.5 weeks to go until her due date! She's not as big as your girl sounds but she just has so long to go and it just keeps filling! I'm so stressed by it. Her's started with a precocious udder on the left side but now both sides are growing. She's a 3 yr old FF. Good luck with your girl!!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Your girls is very nice looking. Her udder is very large considering she has a long time to go. The udder on my gal is easily twice this size and it's ugly. The weight has stretched it down below her hock, and it's never been like that. So stressing!

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
It sounds like swing bag to me. the mussels and tendons break down and the bag hangs low. it is genetic you often find a young doe that has a shelf on the front of her udder will break down I watch for self's on my girls and I cull the kids from that doe and when the doe breaks down i cull her.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
do not milk early that will risk does kids. no colostrum kills kids
by the way kids have a hard time finding the spickets on swing bag does. watch the kids weight for a few days

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for the replies! I have saved the colostrum and will give it to the kids when they are born, just in case what is in there is watered down now. Yes, this doe (my very first goat and I have much better genetics now) did indeed have a shelf. You're right. Her udder has always been carried high until ....all of a sudden.....man, is it drooping and low and huge. Maybe a goat bra?

·
Registered
30,656 Posts
Is the udder lumpy and missformed? Can you get a picture? Yes a bra of some sort can help support the weight but won't help the discomfort of stretching tight. I'm betting when she kids that colostrum will become thicker and richer for babies.

Reactions: toth boer goats

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Udder is not lumpy or hard. No heat. Very pliable and soft when I milked out a gallon, and there was probably a gallon left in there. The milk, colostrum, is thick and yellow.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Your girls is very nice looking. Her udder is very large considering she has a long time to go. The udder on my gal is easily twice this size and it's ugly. The weight has stretched it down below her hock, and it's never been like that. So stressing!
Yeah that sounds rough! Poor girl.. sorry you are dealing with that. One vet suggested I do occasional relief milking if the udder gets very tight or the teat starts stretching out, just milking enough to relive the pressure. But that being said, he also mentioned that you do indeed increase the risk of mastitis by removing the plugs.. so damned if you do damned if you don't! I've done this twice with my girl because she was SO uncomfortable and I sprayed the teat orifice with fight bac afterwards and made sure she was standing until it dried. I know it is not ideal to milk anything at this point but if it's hurting her until she can't walk or lay down then it seems like you don't have much choice?

·
Registered
30,656 Posts
Sounds like other than abundantly full its a healthy udder.

Reactions: toth boer goats

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you , everyone! I appreciate the advice. I really did not want to milk her to relieve pressure, but her teats got so stretched out they were almost nubs. I didn't see how a kid could grab onto them. So, I did indeed milk out a bunch, left a bunch and I will give the kids, when born, some of her saved colostrum just in case. Three days til due date

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
A trick I read was to clean the teat really well, and your hands, of course, then put a dab of elmer's glue over the teat orifice to help seal it up.
At this point, though, she's probably made her own seal again, so it's likely not worth it.
Hope all goes well with her kidding!

·
Registered
305 Posts
Please update when she kids! I would love to see the Ober babies! Hope everything goes well

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
3,601 Posts
Oh my land. 😱 I can see why you milked her. I hope you can get that under control once she kids.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts