The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, me again with another idea to make farming more efficient:

I am having my husband build this milking bench I designed today and since he can weld, he will make it out of metal but it can easily be made of wood too (see photo below). My favorite features are:
1) the sliding door on the bottom and the milk tray underneath. After the goat gets up on the bench, slide the opening to the right place for your goat and then milk her thru that opening directly into your container. This prevents her from kicking the container and spilling the milk.
2) adjustable rails which slide up an down to allow the goat to enter and exit and keep her put while I milk her, trim her hoovs, medicate her, etc. I placed these rails are on all sides of the bench so it can be accessed from either side.
3) foot restrainer at the back of the bench. This is just a simple dowel or metal rod to which I will tie the noose rope for her back legs.

Hope you guys can use this and if anyone builds their bench before we do, please post your pictures and let me know how it worked out, any suggestions, ideas, etc.

Attachments

·
Registered
361 Posts
Interesting idea. Looks like you put a lot of thought into it. My only concern would be having the milking container lower than the platform of the stanchion. As much as I try to keep our stanchion clean and free of debris, I promise you, there is always something there that could very easily get knocked down into the milk.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You are right Serenity, that's why we're going to make ours out of metal mesh so nothing will stay on it and we can easily hose it down.
But speaking of getting stuff into the milk, I found some really good fabric thru which I strain the milk as soon as get to the house. Not really sure what is called. It looks like cheese cloth but it feels like a cross between silk and nylon. NOTHING gets thru, not a hair, not a spec of dust. And it's really good for making cheese too. I love it.

·
New To Social Networking Not So Much To Goats
278 Posts
Interesting idea. Looks like you put a lot of thought into it. My only concern would be having the milking container lower than the platform of the stanchion. As much as I try to keep our stanchion clean and free of debris, I promise you, there is always something there that could very easily get knocked down into the milk.
Even though my bucket is placed on the same level as the platform, what I do to keep debris out in the first place is use a layer of cheap loosely woven cotton cheesecloth taped over the top of the bucket. When I get inside I untape the cheesecloth, rinse it, then fold it over twice and put it into my little metal mesh strainer and hold it over my jar and pour the milk thru. It catches everything!

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great idea. I am going to do the same since I have extra fabric only I will use a rubber band to fasten it to the bucket instead of tape. Thanks for the idea.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts