milking bucks???

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by ohiogoatgirl, Jun 1, 2010.

1. ohiogoatgirl

ohiogoatgirl New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    ohio
    i read in a magazine once about milking bucks. this just popped in my head today and i cant think of the magazine but it was at tractor supply. i was fliping through it and skimmed over the article before we had to leave. has anyone heard of this? is it just a hermaphrodite mix-up or what? very confused...
    :whatgoat:
    :?
    :sigh:
    :shrug:
    :doh:
    :scratch:

2. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    umm, only thing I an think of is, semen collection ??

3. ohiogoatgirl

ohiogoatgirl New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    ohio
    ha ha ha! but no, really milking a buck. there was a pic but it was kinda fuzzy and a black-and-white. it was definitely a buck with udders. the weirdest thing........

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Could of been hermaphrodite....that would be the only explanation......In my oppinion :thumb:

But there are... those doctored up pics too...like the inquirer ...LOL :wink:

5. Riot_My_Love

Riot_My_Love New Member

I agree with Pam.. ;)

6. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Nope, not a hermie, its a real condition. I can't remember exactly how it works, but sometimes bucks who come from heavier producing lines can actually produce milk themselves, I had a buck that had milk, I gave him parsley to dry him up, and I know a breeder friend who had a Saanen buck who got really bad mastitis. Go to this site and go down to Thrill and look at his udder: http://luckystarfarm.com/referencebucks1.html Thrill is a buck that comes from a line of extremely heavy milkers :)

7. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
    I wonder what they do with the buck milk? I don't think I'd want to drink it :x lol

8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Holy goat batman... :shocked: that is truely weird...never heard of it before lead alone see it.... :thumb: thanks Sarah... for clearing that up....I didn't have any other ryme or reason for it other than a hermie ....LOL :wink:

9. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    I have no idea, I wouldn't want to drink it either :p

10. OhCee

OhCee Yak Lady

Feb 26, 2010
    Western MT
    Wow- kinda nuts!

11. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I believe I saw a similar artical in Dairy Goat Journal...it was just as Sara said, bucks that come from extremely good milking lines have been known to have "2 sacs" back there!

12. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    :ROFL: My hubby says no way would he 1) milk it 2) drink it! "I am NOT milking a boy goat....No matter how cute he is."

Gina

13. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    LOL, Liz! :ROFL: :slapfloor: I almost peed when I read that!

And, man, I can't believe the udder on that Lucky Star buck! I've heard of bucks making milk before...that is just crazy though! :shocked:

14. Itchysmom

Itchysmom New Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington
    So, does Thrill act like a doe or a buck during breeding season? Just had to ask.....

15. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    I have no idea, he's owned by a herd in WA, I assume he would though since he's an extremely masculine buck and he does have daughters, check out his daughters Xhibit and Vivian: http://luckystarfarm.com/dandy.html :)

And the buck I have that has an udder(I have no idea if he comes from heavy milking lines, it was a mistake that I bought him) acts very bucky during rutt. They're nothing like hermies at all.

16. zoomom

zoomom New Member

Feb 26, 2010

I had enough trouble explaining to the little kids what the "big thing hanging down" was - if my buck had an udder too, that would take alot of explaining - to anyone that came to visit.

I saw Thrill. I wasn't thrilled.

17. poppypatch

poppypatch New Member

May 30, 2009
    Montesano WA
    Very common in the dairy breeds. We used to have quite a few of our Lamancha and Togg bucks who milked. Sometimes one side and sometimes both. I used to milk them usually out before showing them which was hard because they tend to have small orifices. The milk looks watery. Their teats get all big and stretched out from being full. Remember forgetting to milk somebody out once and the judge commented on his ability to milk while they were down there checking teats.
    I have heard of a breeder sending buck milk in for kicks when they sent their samples in for DHIA once.... not surprising the butterfat test reveled a very low butterfat content.
    Kinda like a precocious milking doe. We had precocious milkers with the Togg babies a couple of times as young as two weeks old. A precocious milking doe can be shown in the senior classes if she is being milked regularly... have done it as we once had a yearling Togg(one of those two week old babies who milked) who had a full sized udder as a never freshened yearling. If you show a precocious milker in the dry classes the judge may ask you if you are milking her and if you are they would like her to rather be shown in the milking class.

18. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    I think I have that article. Not sure at this time where it would be though. I thought that was really weird. But are teats normal on a buck?

19. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Teats are normal on all male mammals, it's not "normal" for them to be functioning teats though.