Milking Cocoa?

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by Di, Oct 21, 2008.

1. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    OK, I have just been wrestling with a post surgical Cocoa, trying to get some colostrum for her baby. Nothing! She won't give me one drop! I'm going to take her boy down and see if she will "consider" taking him back. I got several ounces of colostrum while she was anesthetized and he took it all last night. Will that be enough? I'd sure like to get some more though, but she didn't like to be milked the last time and I gave up trying. I have some colostrum I bought (last year, it's powder) should I give him some of that?

2. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    If at all possible to get goat colostrum that would be the best - either from Cocoa or from another doe (maybe a breeder close to you) for the first 24 hours. If you can not get any more colostrum, I would say go to the powder for a bit and then onto milk (if possible - goat milk - if not I have used a mixture of buttermilk, evaporated milk, and whole cows milk).

I am glad that cocoa made it through her ordeal and good job to you!!!

3. You just need to be sure that he got at least 5oz of colostrum, after 12 hours it is not effective for immunities and such anyhow. I'd move on to goat milk now. I would not give powdered colostrum, there in no guarantee that it is from from vaccinated or even healthy does.

4. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    Well, I got about 8oz when she was "incapacitated", and he got all of that. About 2oz about 6:00pm, then 3 more about 10:00pm, then he really went to it at 4:00am and finished what I had.

Hubby was sitting with him while I got us some food last night and I heard "oh ick", so I went to see what was icky...he had poo'd on Daddy! LOL (well, he poo'd on the towel on Daddy), so I was really happy to see that!

5. Ya a first poo, sounds like he is doing well :)

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    he has definitely received enough colostrum.......your doe needs stimulation for her bag to let down milk..............naturally..... it is when the kids bumps and sucks her bag ............

feed her good alfalfa and grain her............it should help also......

there is a drug also for milk let down ......but I do not know if you can use it in her condition.........I would ask a vet...........

Poo .............eww.................is a good thing..........LOL

7. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    I think it's pretty funny how excited we get about "baby poo" HA! Well, I took him out to Cocoa, she looked at him like "who the heck is that? She wasn't evil to him, just indifferent. Poor baby, he did follow her around a little, but, he kept coming back to me, so I guess I'm the "substitute mom". I want to keep him with the goats so he'll know he's a goat. But, I don't want to put him in a potentially dangerous situation. Should I wait till he's a little bigger or just hope and pray he'll be OK.

I have to work tomorrow and thursday, but I can take him with me.

8. Your right he is too young to be all on his with the other goats and no mama to protect him.
    Does are not nice to kids other than thier own.

I don't put babies out with the crowd until at least 1 week old...but that is with thier dam there to protect them.
    Having only one bottle baby is going to be a tough one.

9. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Di, if it's possible, see if Coco will take him, put some of that yellow poo on her nose...it smells like her as he did have the colostrum from his mom...and then leave him whee you can see what's going on...but he can't see you, she may take him then a he wouldn't be distracted by you...of course if she is aggressive with him, then I guess the little guy will be in your back pocket for awhile.

Glad that Coco is home with you...and the little man is doing well.