Milking doe has rough coat

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by Zelda, May 12, 2009.

1. Zelda

Zelda New Member

May 2, 2009
    Rocky Mountains
    My milking doe has a rough coat and is a bit thinner than I'd prefer. Her hair feels rough and coarse. I dewormed her when she kidded in April. Would this be a feed deficiency of some sort or are their coats normally kind of rough? She is my first milk goat, so I don't know if this is normal.

She's on a choice alfalfa hay fed free choice plus approx. a pound of grain at each feeding (half Goat Chow, half COB because she loves it). I give her a mineral for goats. And she has salt and soda.

Today I picked up a goat Smartlick, I cannot yet figure out how to feed it and not have them jumping in it. It's a big gooey tub of stuff.

2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    All of my does, in milk or dry have very soft fur, I don't do anything "special" for them but I do know that Stacey has given hers Aloe Vera juice for dry skin and coat problems with great results. You may be able to try that, other that that with all that she is getting I wouldn't know what else that may help.

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Have you de-liced them for... both biting and sucking lice?

When you wormed her... what did you use ?
    one type of wormer doesn't take care of tapes.... as the other takes care of a different variety.... :wink:

4. Zelda

Zelda New Member

May 2, 2009
    Rocky Mountains
    I have not de-liced her specifically, but I did use Eprinex pour-on dewormer. I don't think it kills tape worms (Ivermectin class wormer).

As far as lice go, she is not especially itchy - I brush her twice a day while she's on the stand. She appreciates it, but does not seem extra itchy. Would she act itchy if she had lice?

Now that I think about it, she did have a rough coat when I got her, which was a few months before she kidded.

I am going to add some BOSS to her ration as well. Could she need a little more fat than she is currently getting? Or vitamin E?

Or could she just have a rough coat? My doelings are much softer... But the two older ones are not bred the same as her so I don't know what to expect there either.

ETA: I emailed the breeder to see if Snickers always had a coat like this.

5. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Try the BOSS, it may do the trick and even have a fecal done to see if there are any "bugs" the wormer missed. And yes, if she had external bugs, she would itch like crazy.

6. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Is this what you are using ......how interesting ....it covers both lice species....I might have to use that instead of the ivomac injectable....so you have already treated them for lice...LOL :wink:
    http://www.jefferslivestock.com/ssc/pro ... ept_id=412

Does she eat her loose salt and minerals?

I agree with Liz .....maybe get a fecal on her......

7. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    So Cydectin pour on given orally kills both types of lice? Or would it have to be poured on as it is purple.

8. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    as to the goat mineral tub---

tip it on its side near the corner of a fence and tie it to the corner with bungee cords. that way they cant step in it.

9. redneck_acres

redneck_acres New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Idaho
    Copper deficiency will also show up as a ruff looking coat of hair for goats.

10. Zelda

Zelda New Member

May 2, 2009
    Rocky Mountains
    Yes, that's the product I use. I thought it treated for lice, but I couldn't remember... I liked it because there is no milk withdrawl and it's super easy to just drizzle it along her back.

She does like the salt and the minerals go in her grain. I forget the brand, but it's one that can be added to grain in the recommended amount.

11. Zelda

Zelda New Member

May 2, 2009
    Rocky Mountains
    Thanks!!! That helps alot!!

12. Zelda

Zelda New Member

May 2, 2009
    Rocky Mountains
    I wondered about that. :?

13. Zelda

Zelda New Member

May 2, 2009
    Rocky Mountains
    I double checked - the mineral I have been feeding is Manna Pro Goat Mineral, and it contains copper. The smartlick is goat specific and contains copper, too.

However, I read that if they are deficient, they won't likely become un-deficient by just feeding copper. It said I could safely drench her and see if there's improvement.

So that will be the next step, when I get to town for some copper crystals.

14. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    What brand of mineral are you feeding? Is she eating it good?

15. Amy Goatress

Amy Goatress New Member

Oct 1, 2008
    We have given Clovite which is in the horse section of TSC but it can be used for all livestock and poultry plus dogs and cats for dry and itchy coats and their coats looked wonderful after we used the Clovite, nice and shiny coats.

16. redneck_acres

redneck_acres New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Idaho
    Yeah, sometimes the percentage of copper in the minerals can be low compared to what the goat really needs.

17. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    That product is really neat.....I think I may try it.....does it tell you the dosage for goats?

18. Zelda

Zelda New Member

May 2, 2009
    Rocky Mountains
  19. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    thanks ...Zelda....for the info.... :wink: :greengrin:

20. Amy Goatress

Amy Goatress New Member

Oct 1, 2008
    We used to use Eprinex on our goats, we got it from our vet but she recently gave us something else though.