Milking doe not eating

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by JessaLynn, Jan 27, 2010.

1. JessaLynn

JessaLynn New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    NW Ohio
    I have a 2 year old 2nd freshener doe who just kid Nov 30th and I just started to milk her a week ago.Today she barely touched her grain and is not like her at all.I'm worried she isn't feeling well.She doesn't apear sick or nothing out of the orindary.I'm gonna try and get a temp on her this afternoon just to b sure.She is getting really thin and that scares me.I have never had a milking doe so I am not sure what's normal and what's not.She has free choice alfalfa hay as well as minerals and baking soda.I haul water twice a day to them as well.Her udder feels normal and no signs of blood in her milk to sudgest mastitis.I am unexperienced with this as I have only own goats for half a year.Anyone have any idea? :whatgoat:

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    could be a calcium deficiency -- do you have a calcium drench or CMPK gel?

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Have a fecal done on her.... adults can have cocci and not show any other signs ...especially the typical scouring..... rapid weight loss... even though feeding her well.... wouldn't be a bad idea... to check her ....also check for worms as well..... :hug:

Let us know what her temp is....

How are her gums ?

4. JessaLynn

JessaLynn New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    NW Ohio
    I worm our goats reg and I do have calcium drench and will give her some to see if it helps.Her poo is normal berries.I can't get out to the barn till 4 so will let ya'll know what her temp is then.I'll also check her gums.Thanks!

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    coccidia is different then worms and wormer will not get rid of it

And just as Pam said they wont have the "typical signs" like diarrhea when adults. they just loose muscle mass and slowly get thinner and thinner.

So yes you could be dealing with coccidia in your doe

6. pennylullabelle

pennylullabelle New Member

She also may have low blood sugar. Try the calcium, wait a few hours, and try something to raise ketone levels. Here's some info from a group I subscribe too (read carefully and ask questions on anything that doesn't make sense)

EMAIL ONE:
    regnancy toxemia/ketosis is a recurring topic on a lot of lists. It is
    good for me to review the material because I have heavy bred does right now
    that may be at risk. I am answering your questions based on the resource
    material I have on hand.

Question One: What are the signs of ketosis in a doe?

Generally ketosis is limited to around the final six weeks of gestation.
    The immediate cause is usually either undernutrition or overnutrition.

The symptoms are generally vague. Low blood sugars in the doe is probably
    one of the first noticeable factors. When I have low blood sugar, I have
    trouble speaking and typing correctly. I also get confused easily. If it
    continues for a long time, I get depressed. The symptoms are probably
    pretty much the same in a doe but harder to identify since she cannot talk.

Some indicators can be that the doe is slow to get up or may lie off by
    herself. She may eat less and her eyes may be dull. Swelling in the lower
    legs may occur as well. Sometimes, a doe will seem to have sore feet or
    legs before the actual swelling shows up. She may appear tender footed.

If not treated, neurological symptoms such as stargazing and tremors may
    develop.

Also, unless hypocalemia is also involved the doe will produce many tiny,
    light-weight berries. (With full-blown hypocalcemia, the rumen shuts down
    and there will be no berries at all.)

If the doe is not treated she will eventually stop eating all together and
    then not be able to get up.

Question Two: How can one test (strips, if I'm not mistaken)?

Yes, you are right. The definitive test as to whether a doe has ketosis is
    the use of a product to test the urine for the presence of ketones.
    Although some people can apparently smell the ketones on the breath of a
    goat, I cannot do that. You can buy the test strips at pharmacies in
    either the diabetic supplies section or with products related to low carb
    diets. I try to buy bottles with low counts because the test strips do not
    store well. It is best to check the expiration date to make sure they are
    still functional.

With heavily pregnant does, they usually urinate soon after they get up.
    This is when I try to capture urine to test. I

Question Three: When do you administer PG, how (oral, SQ, IV, etc) and at
    what dosage?

The standard dose for Propylene Glycol is 50 - 60 CC given orally two or
    three times daily. I use a ball-tip drenching syringe to give it.

The dose you give may depend on the weight of your bred does. My big Boer
    does may weigh better than 220 when heavily bred. They get the full 60
    CCs. I might give the lighter does 50 CCs.

Along with the Propylene Glycol, I work with high-quality alfalfa hay,
    pelleted feed (my heavy bred does really respond to Nutrena Senior Horse),
    and Calf Manna which has not only a lot of vitamins and minerals but
    calcium as well. If I can get fresh, nontoxic tree leaves, I feed those
    too.

EMAIL TWO:
    I have to pick Susan up on one point. She is talking about pregnancy toxaemia, or sleepy sickness, which is an acute form of ketosis or acetonaemia.
    Chronic ketosis/acetonaemia can happen to both sexes of ruminant, and castrated males, any age. Usual cause is lack of cobalt so that the animal can't make its own B vits. Cobalt may not be present in the feed, or may be blocked by other minerals in the feed. This includes mineral mixes, btw.
    There is a characteristic odour to chronic ketosis, similar to nail varnish remover but sweeter. You can find this odour in acute ketosis also. If the animals are on a high legume diet, the smell can be disguised/hidden by the smell of the food in the racks.
    In the acute form, when the animal's appetite and demeanour show signs of depression, 60 mls propylene glycol every 8 hours, daily B vits (yeast will do), and a high carb diet (barley straw is excellent) is the most effective treatment for a dairy goat. Smaller goat breeds and sheep, dose of p-g is 40 mls every 8 hours, and B vits and carbs.
    Reason for giving the p-g in 3 small doses in 24-hours, rather than one big one, is to keep the level of ketone bodies controlled. If you just give one big dose, it zonks the present ketone bodies, but the level of p-g has dropped over the 24-hours, so that the next dose has to start over - the animal will have had a few hours of looking better, only to regress by the time the next dose is due. Makes sense to keep the level of p-g in the system failry constant, doesn't it?
    Chronic ketosis is a case of addressing the cause of the lack of cobalt, and correcting it. If this is not possible, daily B vits. If using yeast for this, 7 days at 1 tablespoon yeast daily per animal to get the level of B vits up, then go to a maintenance dose of 1 teaspoon daily.

So, consider these opinions and whether or not your doe might have a B vitamin deficiency or a ketone issue and treat accordingly. When in doubt, treat both...

7. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

I would get some CMPK in her. Even if thats not the problem it wont hurt. And if youre waiting around ona fecal you might as well potentially solve the problem. Its kind of late for a calcium deficiancy but its not unheard of.

8. JessaLynn

JessaLynn New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    NW Ohio
    Sorry late responding.I took her temp and 100.9 and gave her calcium drench.She seems to have her appetite back because she's eating again.I have a friend going to stop by to take a look at her but she said she sounds fine the way I'm describing the way she looks.It's just her back pelvic bones stick out more then I think should be.She's round as far as her belly goes.I'm not sure what to expect with milking does so got paranoid when she wouldn't eat her grain yesterday.Thank you for the useful information wow! I will keep it all in mind.

9. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

skinny on top with a pot belly is a good indication of worms. I would have a fecal done. Her temp is a little low.
    beth

10. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree with beth...the temp and belly issue doesn't sound right...a fecal is a great idea...... :hug: