The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you deworm a lactating doe if so what can I use and do I have to give up using her milk.

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
You can use any wormer on her. It will not affect the milk you drink from her, there is such a small amount of wormer in the milk it is so minute its nothing to worry about.
I actually give myself full doses of wormer time to time, nothing bad happens.

·
Registered
320 Posts
You can worm her.
I suggest SafeGuard(10% Fenbendazole) it is one of the safer wormers out there and there is no milk withdrawal.

The other option is to give ivermectin orally and I'm not entirely sure what the withdrawal time on that is.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
I just asked my vet that same question today! She recommended we wait 24hrs after worming before we take any off her milk for consumption. And like someone else said she just said to use 200 pounds worth of Safe Guard :)

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Ivermectin has different withdrawal times depending on where you are in the world but seems from reading people's posts here and Fias Co Farms, most people only do a 2-4 day withdrawal. If you make soap, that's 2-4 days of milk in the freezer for that.

I just Ivermectin'd my doe though we're leaving her doeling all the milk at the moment.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I just Ivermectin'd my doe though we're leaving her doeling all the milk at the moment.
Lol, it's a two for one worming! If that little doe gets any of the Ivermectin she'll be worm free! :clap:

And I would wait at the very least a day depending on what you use...just to be safe. Either way though a little dewormer in you shouldn't hurt ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts