Milking doe - teat not spraying right

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Dover Farms, Apr 2, 2008.

1. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    NW Ohio
    Okay...not sure if this is the right place to post this, if not, please move it.

Anyways, my one doe's teat sprays funny. It does not come out in a stream like it was. 4 days ago it was fine, but 3 days ago when I was milking sprayed funny and then a little chunk came out(no, not mastitis) and it was pretty much fine that morning. Then that night I could see a piece of skin when milking and it was effecting the stream. I tried to get it off after I was done milking, but once you milk and stop...Libby doesn't let you do anything else. If you get up...your done. Had the same problem yesterday. I can't get that piece of skin off...I think that is the problem though. This morning it was even worse! It effected the stream so much that it sprayed "up" the teat and on my hand. :angry: It is really getting annoying and I am not sure how to get it off.

Any suggestions? PLEASE!
  2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    This may work, but may not. Take a warm wet washcloth and go back and forth over her teats...since she has "antsy pants" you may need to have someone hold her back feet to the milkstand, if the washcloth doesn't work then try a baby's toothbrush...or any tootbrush that has super soft bristles. The chunk you saw was probably milk residue from the skin thats blocking the stream, it just stuck there.

3. fritzie

fritzie New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    also what i have done when i have a doe that dosen't want to stand still is to have some one hold up the back leg on the other side of the goat. just keep working it & that will come off. i agree that the warm towels & massage will help
  4. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    NW Ohio
    Thanks! I got it out though. :greengrin: The only reason she jumped a bit then is because when I put my fingers in the milk steam it sprayed her leg. I just had to try and get it when I was milking...when you squish the teat it pushed it out and I was able to get it with my nails and pull it out.

She is fine when I milk her...granted she has hobbles on, but when I was do anything to her udder AFTER I was done milking she would just jump up and down and kick those hobbles right off!