The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning I went out to feed as usual, and 1 of my kinder milking does had no interest in her grain (highly unusual) and then I saw the scours all around the pen. I'm guessing she ate too many apples. She was in the same pasture with the 2 sheep, 2 wethers, 3 does, 1 doeling, and 1 wetherling. No one else is sick. Her temp is 102.3, I gave her some Pepto for animals, I drenched her with electrolytes and probiotics... Rubbed her sides pretty good. The neighbor did say he gave them all the apples under his tree, which there was about 30 or so apples.. I asked him not to throw over that many, 1 each is plenty. Is there anything else I should be doing? She is in her pen... She ate a little hay, and really isn't interested in much. She's still scouring a little it's clumping up though. She gave me a cup of milk this morning, under the circumstances I understand. Should I continue to milk her, or just leave her for now? I don't want to dry her up, but don't want the extra stress on her body right now either. She should have a couple more months of milking. She's going to be 2 on Jan 1st.

·
Registered
30,585 Posts
No feed until she berries up either...hay only., offer electrolytes to keep her hydrated...
MOM is 15 cc per 60#
New C D Antitoxin dosing information Directly from Colorado Serum:
No need to give this every 6 hours- the recommended dosing for goats is as follows:
kids under 6lbs give them 3ccs injected SQ every 12hours
kids 6-15lbs give them 5ccs injected SQ every 12 hours.
kids 15-20lbs: give them 10ccs injected SQ every 12 hours.
For adults- 80lb goat will get 20ccs injected SQ every 12 hours

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Got the MOM, as my regular feed store doesn't carry CD antitoxin. How much so I give a 50 lb doe?

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Never mind, your too cool Happybleats, you already gave me the answer. Going out now to give it to her... I hope she's gonna be okay...

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay, so how often for the MOM? She seems more perky already, although I have been drenching her with the electrolytes since I haven't seen the water or electrolytes go down. She seemed annoyed that she was only getting hay.., she was jumping up on her hind legs as if to say, um mom really, did you forget about me... She's definitely feeling a bit better. No complete berries yet, but she is in her own pen tonight so hopefully berries tomorrow AM. Should I still try to milk her tomorrow am?

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update: she's not worse but she's not better. Could she have cocci? She's going to be 2 in January... I'm getting a bit concerned..... I again gave her MOM, drenched her with electrolyte mix, gave probiotics. I wormed with Safeguard and Valbalzon too, but if this could be cocci, I need to go get meds for that. She is alert and gives quite the fight when meds are given. She is in her pen again. I might let her out while I clean the barn, to see what she does, but I'm starting to worry:(

·
I'm watching you
22,271 Posts
MOM is a laxative, it's not going to firm her up at all. Until that is out of her system, you can't even see where her poop might be at naturally.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
MOM is a laxative, it's not going to firm her up at all. Until that is out of her system, you can't even see where her poop might be at naturally.
Oh, so I should have only given her 1 dose? Oops, okay no more MOM.. She still has no interest in much.., but maybe that's why.

·
I'm watching you
22,271 Posts
No no, just don't go by poop until she's off it. She has to start eating her hay again. Did you give B complex? She needs that.
Don't start giving a bunch of stuff yet. You have a doe with a messed up Rumen. Throwing wormers and cocci meds in there are not only not going to work right because she's not digesting, they are going to throw her rumen further off balance.

Treat the first problem...She pigged down apples. Bring her lots of green branches to eat, tempting hay, etc. Any solid fiber she will eat is good. The MOM will keep her from bloating. Apples are bad because they ferment inside the stomach. Once she is eating well she will start getting rid of them better.

Don't give Pepto and MOM, just MOM.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Oh, okay. She is eating hay, that is the only thing she will eat.. She did nibble on some grass from her pen to the milking stanchion. I will go ahead and get the B-Complex... I don't think I have that yet.... MOM 2 times a day or more? That is until she's better. Thanks Goathiker:)

·
I'm watching you
22,271 Posts
If she's eating a good amount of hay, then once a day should be fine.

Milk of Magnesia works by changing stomach acid into water. That leaves nothing for the animal to digest their food with until their body makes more. She will need Probios to help rebuild her beneficial bacteria after this is done.

Is she cudding at all? That's what you want to see.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If she's eating a good amount of hay, then once a day should be fine.

Milk of Magnesia works by changing stomach acid into water. That leaves nothing for the animal to digest their food with until their body makes more. She will need Probios to help rebuild her beneficial bacteria after this is done.

Is she cudding at all? That's what you want to see.
Yes, I just saw her chew her cud briefly, but she only did it a couple seconds, so maybe that is the start:) I took her some locus tree branches, and she munched that down. She seems content not being with the others for right now. I have been giving her probiotics, so hopefully this is the step in the right direction. Thanks again Goathiker:)

·
I'm watching you
22,271 Posts
Sounds like she's getting better. Any branches and hay are great for her. As soon as she's eating and cudding pretty well, you can stop the MOM and let her system build up again. Just follow your instincts, you know the goat the best.

·
Registered
30,585 Posts
Great advice given..Thanks Goathiker!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts