The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
arnold_acres
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What all do I need to start milking a few does? I am not looking to spend a lot of money on expensive equipment. Please tell me what works for you and your wallet. Thanks.

·
14,615 Posts
Disclaimer here Im not a real milker. Bought nice stainless steel bucket BUT prefer to use stainless saucepans with lids when I do.

·
Crazy Goat Lady
4,324 Posts
My low tech way of milking was to milk into a container that I can hold in one hand and milk with the other. Not the fastest way, but, I have arthritis...so I am no longer a 2 handed milker. lol Then, when that got too hard. I purchased the Udderly EZ milker. It was very good...not faster...but I didn't have to use my poor hands. Now, I have put together my own milker and will be ready to use it next week. I think I spent about $400. or so. There is a guy on ebay selling similar to what I made for $600.or so...

Then you will need to buy a strainer (you don't need the huge $100. one, get the smaller one, I got mine from Hoeggers) and filters, and I use the quart canning jars to store the milk in the fridge. I have a plastic coffee can that I use to cool it quickly, put jar in and fill with ice/water. Then I rotate the jars around the fridge (use a sharpie to put date of milking on the jar).

·
Registered
635 Posts
Stainless milk pails. I see people milking into old coffee cans or plastic mixing bowls for milk they're going to consume themselves or (ack!) feed to their children. Reduce/Reuse is admirable but eColi and Listeria are not your friends. Virtually impossible to sanitize.
Stainless funnel/filter holder for filtering. Paper filters to fit. At Hoegger's Supply
Glass or stainless storage with tight lids.
A good udder wash and teat dip
I use Iodophor as it's super concentrated. A gallon will last years.
And last but not least..... A MILK STAND!!

·
Registered
201 Posts
I use pint jars with a strainer like you you use in sinks. This one came from bed bath and beyond. Cheap and it has wire holes like a tea strainer. I tape that to the top if my jar then when I am finished I go inside and pour it through a milk filter into another jar and place top on and sit it in my freezer in ice for like 30 minutes or so until cool then usually put in fridge or if I am collecting for cheese I put in 2 quart jar and add each milking. I have a Nigerian so only get a pint. This worked for me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts