The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read about people who milk there goats for 2 years or more and then breed them again. Has anyone had any experience doing this? What are the pros and cons of doing it? I know as long as you keep milking a doe she will continue to produce milk and that production will go down in the winter but will pick up again in the summer. Im seriously thinking aabout doing this but would like to learn more.

·
city-turned-country girl
1,107 Posts
I know of a lady who does it, but when 2 years comes around, the doe is only producing ~ a quart a day.

I have 2 standard size milkers. I bought one in milk, the other will be bred this fall. By spring 2014 doe #2 will come into milk, and doe #1 I will dry off. Then they'll switch off years. I'll also have a little ND doe who I can throw in the mix if need be.

If I wanted more milk, I'd have 4 milkers: two in milk at a time.

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
17,201 Posts
I have done this. but do not recommend it. The longer periods in between kiddings can cause their reproductive organs to sometimes get fatty, or go cystic, silent heats, short cycles, hormone imbalances, etc. And the longer they are kept in milk the more taxing it is on the body, and the production does drop quite a bit after 305 days into lactation, or 10 months)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have 4 Alpine does and the oldest I have milked for over 16 month and she is still giving 3 quarts daily. Since I am not interested in kids, I am thinking of not getting the other does bred this fall, a yearling, a 4 year old and a 5 year old, all milking well right now and in excellent health. Please let me know your thoughts, Alice at [email protected]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts