Milking Help Needed!!

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by Tog Lovers, Mar 2, 2009.

1. Tog Lovers

Tog Lovers New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Greensburg, PA
    Lady, our doe who had the twins is not giving milk. Her udder is huge and very hard and not at all hot (just fels normal body temp) but her teats are almost non-existant. We try to milk her and all we get is maybe 2oz. if that. She freshened Sunday evening and this is her first freshehing. When feeling her udder the skin is loose enough to move around but there feels like there is a hard mass inside. We have massaged endlessly and have tried the warm wet towels. One side is giving the majority of the milk. The other teat is really small and you can barely see the oriface. The most we ever get out of this one is 2 or 3 thin little streams. Her temp is fine. She is not acting off in any way. And she is a real doll on the stand, even lifting her leg so we can work better. Are we missing something? Oh, the milk that does come out looks fine. It's not lumpy or stringy or anything.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    sounds like a congested udder. Keep up the warm compresses and massaging. How much are you feeding her? is she drinking? do you have a salt block available (they need salt to produce milk)?

3. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Has she been tested for cae?

4. Tog Lovers

Tog Lovers New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Greensburg, PA
    Ok will keep up the compresses. I have been going out there with the hot towels and massaging her udder like every 2 hrs today. I try to see if I can get any milk out of her, but it is still just very little. (a couple squirts) Her teeats are really sore and the last time she really didn't want me to milk at all. Should I be trying to milk her every time or just do the towels and massaging?

She did test possitive for Exposure to CAE. That is why we have pulled the kids to bottle feed. There are so many different opinions on this issue that we were devistated when the results came in this summer. Our vet explained that the dangerous part of the disease is the encephalitis (sp?) and that shows within the first 6mos and defin. within a year. As far as being prone to Arthritis goes...he said some people are and we don't get rid of them. She may develope symptoms as she gets older and she may not. If she does we will put her down so she doesn't live in any pain.

I am so greatfull that our new vet knows alot about goats. He did a 1 year internship last year on a big goat farm. He is young and up on all the latest info. (But believe me we are paying for it) He just sent more blood in to be tested again for CAE & CL. He also tested them for tuberculosis and Brucelous already. And he is willing to teach me how to do anything i feel comfortable learning so we don't have to call him all the time.

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    sounds like she is having udder issues due to the CAE :(

thats a great vet - awesome :thumb:

6. fcnubian

fcnubian New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    Have you been able to get the milk out??

It might be due to CAE but I know some one who had CAE Positive does that milked fine for a while before they started having issues with the udder and joints.
    I would also definately retest for CAE. If I tested and got a positive back on one of the does, I would retest at another lab just too make sure before making any culling decisions.

7. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I don't have any experience with a congested udder or even CAE..I am so sorry. :hug: The only thing that does come to mind with an overfull udder and little teats is to keep up the warm compresses and the massages. I did have a 2nd freshener pygmy that was just massive after her kids left that I really had a hard time with milking her, the warm towels and massages really helped with her, it was slow going at first and it took me nearly an hour to get her completely milked out....but she was happy and more comfortable afterwards.