The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone milk all winter long? :snow:
If so, how do you do it? It is just now starting to get cold here and my hands are like ice cubes when it's time to milk!

My 'milking shed' is very small and open on one side. I could close it in but even with lights it would be so dark in there. Was just wondering how everyone else did it....

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
I'm starting to dry my girls off now lol! Our stand is out in the open in my barn.. It's not too bad, but enough for me lol! I'm gonna fill the last of our jars, then stop milking..

·
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would do that too but I don't have a place to do it.... Money is too tight this year to even think of building something else. Maybe I'll just bring them in the house for milking! LOL They can watch TV while I milk! LOL

·
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have been thinking about drying them off but figure I probably won't be breeding them until next fall again and thought I'd try to keep at least one milking through the winter. Not sure it's gonna happen tho!

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
just dried our last alpine off as she is headed to the breeders in a couple weeks. i have to find at least raw cow's milk as pastuerizing it makes me soooooo sick.

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
I don't enjoy milking so much in the cold... :/ I love milking all through the rest of the year, I'm out there twice a day every day! But once it starts getting cool I start milking once a day lol! I do that for some time, then completely dry them off...
I just can't do that in the cold lol!

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
Maybe I'll come and milk with the wood stove for the winter at your place then :p lol!

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
My family drinks it.. I don't like to drink it but love cooking with it. Lol! But.. I got banned from making fudge (made a lot and none of it turned out lol!) soo.. I haven't been making much...

·
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So to drop it back to once a day milking, you just stop milking in the evening? It's ok to do that?

They both seem to be giving less milk right now anyway...

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
Well I start milking less and less at night for like a week.. Then do the same when I go to every other day milking ;)

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I milk in the house.

And before anyone points out that Peggy Sue lives in the house I will add that I milk ALL my girls in my laundry room. :p I also only have minis, though. I don't know how that would work with standards.

·
Registered
905 Posts
We milk through the winter. The barn is about 250 feet from the house, down a bit of a hill. Getting out there is not a problem....coming back up, if it's icy can be a trick, though. (Let's just say I totally understand the saying, "No use crying over spilled milk!" lol) Anyway, it's cold in the barn, it's not heated. I have to keep the top of the dutch door open so I can see because our electricity is out down there. Hoping to get it fixed, then we can close it up and at least keep the wind out. I keep one mitten on and milk with the other hand. It's not horrible since it's only once a day and only for a couple/few months. I'd rather go down there in the snow, then in 90-100 degree heat. Now that I can't stand! We try to take down a bucket or two of hot water for the goats. It warms up their innards. Also, I put a nice, warm blanket on them while I milk. The cloth we use to clean their teats with is made wet with hot water and kept in my pocket on the way out there, so it's fairly warm for them to be cleaned off, too. I guess we make it work because we love the milk so much and absolutely cannot stomach store bought cow's milk. Icky poo!

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
We're drying up right now.
Next year, I plan to have 2 kidding in October...ish. So we'll milk over the winter. We have an area that I want to use that has a furnace in it which will be our kidding area this year. I hope to have it set up nicely for winter milking next year.

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
If I had a nice warm place I would consider milking through lol! And if I had more help with milking.. Summer is quieter at work for me.. Now I'm working close to 30hrs a week and it's mostly night hours so that is a little tough.. I have someone to feed for me but not milk..

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Well, I will continue to milk through the winter... I have one in milk now, 2 girls are I think due the 1st part of January, so I will have no choice. I will use the sanitize wipes with aloe, and heat them up in the microwave before going out. That way I have something "warm" to sooth them and warm my hands at the same time... I don't have electricity in my barn, so a head light it is.... That's my plan:)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts