Milking lessons?

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by citylights, Jun 13, 2010.

1. citylights

citylights Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Southern California
    I'm getting the itch to learn to milk -- esp after that video on the abuse at that Ohio dairy farm. Any videos? hints? webistes?

And Stacey, I'm out in NJ again in AUgust. Will you have anything in milk? Can I come take a lesson? LOL

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Telling you how is simple...but not a learning experience. Hands on is much better!!
    Handle your girls udders daily and if you don't have a milkstand, get one...it is a backsaver when milking the short girls!

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    depends when you come in August I may be drying some girls up but I may have a doe or two in milk still - depends. I would be happy to teach you

4. citylights

citylights Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Southern California
    I do know how to get milk out of a goat -- but -- do you shave all the udders? Wash it with what? Do you sterilize the bucket -- do you use a stainless bucket? How do you keep hair or hair from falling in? Do you strain it? Etc, etc. There must be a website or book for newbies

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    you can shave the udder but you dont have to. I use babywipes to clean the udder before milking.

Hair does fall in = I what looks like a mesh cloth in a disk form and I buy them from Jeffers and they work with my strainer I bought.

I do not sterilize the bucket - no way to keep it that way unless you shrink wrap it afterwards :p

Stainless steal works well for the bucket - I have used a pot of my moms for years before I got a "real" milk pail.

getting the milk chilled quickly is your main concern especially on hot days. so have something cold to put the milk into or have a bucket in ice or something like that. I use a icepack in the bucket (inside a plastic bag, dont trust those things not to leak)