The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will have 5 does this year in milk I try to milk 2x's a day I have limited morning time. Does anyone know of a good electric milking. I have nigerian dwarf goats.
Thank you for the help

· Registered
380 Posts
I use a clear bucket with silicone inflations and an old vacuum pump.

Nigerians don't give much milk. I would think it would be easy to milk by hand.

I have saanens and commute an hour each way, so my time is really tight in the AM.

If the goats are milking 10 lbs and over each or if I am getting more than 4 gallons per milking I can hand milk as fast as I can machine milk with the cleanup. If I am getting 4 to 6 gallons a milking then the machine is quicker.

· Super Moderator
64,490 Posts
It depends on if you have problems with your hands. I used my milking machine on Nigerians. I can milk up to 3 goats by hand and after that, it is too hard on my hands. It takes me longer than some to milk because of my hands. So I use the milking machine when I have 4 or more goats. It is quicker to use the milking machine including cleanup once I hit 4 goats regardless of amount of milk because of my hands.

· Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It depends on if you have problems with your hands. I used my milking machine on Nigerians. I can milk up to 3 goats by hand and after that, it is too hard on my hands. It takes me longer than some to milk because of my hands. So I use the milking machine when I have 4 or more goats. It is quicker to use the milking machine including cleanup once I hit 4 goats regardless of amount of milk because of my hands.
That is true about problems with your hands and also fighting the goats that don't want to stand to be milked my best milker will only stand if I use a machine and if she is filling her face the minute the food runs out she is up in the air. I have to hug her to make her hold still. I have a barn with 5 that act like that. I milk at 5 am so I can get to work on time.

· Registered
7,663 Posts
You know, my Maggiedan milker broke, and I need to get a new part for it, but I'm honestly doing good hand milking my kinder goat with SMALL teats... I will order the part, but I'm kind of thinking of just trying it by hand, I will only have 4 to milk...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.