The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been looking at the idea of making a milking machine.

Looking at a design somewhere along the lines of the vaccuum pump/mason jar easy type ones that you can get, like the henry milker thing, as that is something I can make and for an affordable price.

But I don't like that they don't have a pulse. I thought that constant vacuum was really bad for the teats/seals/udder tissue or some such thing? I understand that you can stop and release for a while several times through milking ... but even so thats still pretty long spells of vacuum surely its bad for the goat?

Has anyone got any feedback on this? I'm thinking of designing a pulser that I can make to include in the machine, but its a tricky one and I'd like to know its worthwhile before going to all that mental exercise!:)

The other question is ... from looking, some of those simple milkers (the henry milker for one) use a common syringe canister (without plunger) as a teat cup (it looks like it and I'm sure I can see ml markings on the photo!) ... I'm thinking they surely have some sort of comfy soft insert for these to make it more comfortable? It doesn't sound very nice otherwise ...

·
Registered
7,618 Posts
I have the maggidan milker, and you do have to go slow and I release often. I think the pulsator would be best. Actually my maggidan broke and I haven't ordered a part yet, so I'm hand milking. I have to say I'm really surprised on how easy it is.... I think my girl is more happy too:) I always hand milked completely out...so I was familiar with it...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.