The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I had been wondering what y'all do for your particular milking methods, particularly those that dam-raise. IE: Do you wait for the kids to be fully weaned before you milk the doe, or do you start milking the doe before they're weaned?

I had been told once that you can milk a doe right after she kids. Once the babies get their little bellies full, I've been told that if you milk out the doe, she'll go on to have a higher production. Is this true?

Anyway, I'm just curious what you all do when you start milking :) As always, I'm always looking for all kinds of information because I'm a curious cat, and I'm thinking I might want to change up how I milk this year. Usually I wait till the kids are weaned. I think that may change this time.

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
I let the kids have the milk for 2 weeks unless there is too much and I have to milk the mom. After 2 weeks the kids go into a pen at night (inside the barn and within eyeshot of mom) so I can have the morning milk. Then the kids run with Mom through the day.
It is supply and demand so keeping them milked out does help overall production.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That sounds like a nice schedule! :) About what time at night do you put them up? And have you ever have any trouble with the moms not wanting the kids back in the morning?

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts
I start milking when kids are 3-4 weeks old. Since I am up at 4am for work, I put kids in their crate at around 9pm, mama is bedded down with them on the outside. No fuss at all... I strip out moms, turn out lights and all is quiet. Granted it's a 7 hour fill but I've found that during early lactation...more than 8 with my girls has their udders tight.

I do have a baby here that I kept and no way to separate her for weaning, so 2 weeks ago I started taping Penny's teats after each milking, Foxy hasn't tried to nurse and Penny hasn't let her so I get Penny's full amount. Foxy is 5 months old and definately ready to wean.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I only milk during the first couple of weeks if the doe's udder is tight or uneven. At 2 weeks I separate the babies in an adjoining stall and milk in the morning, then put them out with mama for the day. They are separated for about 10 hours (going up to 12 as they get older), and they're very eager to get back together in the morning. My one doe will always hold a little milk back when I'm milking her so that her babies can have a good drink as soon as I reunite them. :)

The family that I bought my milkers from does start milking their does from day one to keep production up, so that is certainly an option. You can freeze the colostrum in case you have a kid that needs it next year. It can be used for many other orphaned animals, as well.

I milk only once a day through my does' lactation. It means that after weaning their production is not as good as if I was milking twice a day, but we still get plenty of milk for drinking and making cheese, yogurt, and soap, and it frees up my evenings as well.

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,072 Posts
If the udder looks too full, then I milk them until they're comfortable, but I don't milk them out until the kids are two weeks. At two weeks we begin separating at night and milk them out in the morning, then the kids get them all day. Then, when the kids have had momma for at least eight weeks, we wean them and milk the moms twice a day until we dry them off for the next kidding. ^-^

·
Banned
757 Posts
I don't milk until they are 1.5 weeks old unless they get too tight. Then I take the kids away at night and milk in the morning. I've never had a problem with the does not taking the kids back. I take them away at about 7:30 P.M. and milk at 7:30 A.M.

·
Super Moderator
58,202 Posts
I have to admit that I like the break of the 8 weeks so I let the kids have all of mom's milk for 8 weeks. If a female was looking too full, then I would milk her.

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
I have never had any trouble with moms and babies getting back together after being separated. I put them together right after milking so I know they are getting stripped out. I have seen twins lift a mom right off her feet. (They get really excited.)
Our goats usually go to bed after Jeopardy (7PM). That way we have all the chores done by 8 and have time for a movie before bed. I try to get out to them by 8:15AM but do not always make it. I know a 12 hour schedule is best for max production but I have never worried about that. They are not engourged after 13-14 hours.
I never wean the babies so usually have them on Mom for 6-9 months. I only milk once a day and if I need to go away for a weekend I just leave them together so I do not have to find someone to milk.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Very interesting!! Thank you for sharing your methods, gals :) I think I may give milking once a day and leaving the kids on them a try, separating at night. I like being able to have my nights free, or if I'm sick having the option of leaving the kids on to take care of things while I recoup. That's always a bonus. I'm hoping since a lot of my girls will be kidding out in December, that if I leave the kids on a little longer AND milk, it will keep their production up enough to be competitive by May still.

Thanks again everyone! :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts