The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When milking our three does, I've been milking each one into a separate glass jar, so I can get a better idea of how each individual's milk tastes, and how much they are producing. Is this what other's do as well? What about filtering? Should I use a new (disposable) filter for each doe? Or can all the milk be strained through a single filter each session?

·
1,524 Posts
I milk into a 6 qt stainless steel pail. If I want, I can weight the milk on a hanging scale. I milk 10 does by hand twice a day. I have a pretty good idea of how much each is giving just by picking up the pail after I am done with each doe.

Right now I milk 2 or 3 then bring the pail to the house and strain the milk into a pot for pasteurizing (to make cheese) or into a jar (for drinking). The jar goes in the fridge (or freezer if I am hoarding it for winter) and the pan goes on the stove.

I use the same filter for all does, 1 filter per milking. I have never had a case of mastitis in 35 years of milking goats, so I am not too worried about switching out filters. I line a food grade plastic funnel with the filter and pour the milk into it.

·
HaileyBailey
382 Posts
I do the same as lottsagoats and hope I will also not have a case of mastitis in the next 33 1/2 years!

Now, just to be clear. Most days I milk into the same bucket and strain through the same filter. When especially curious, I will milk into separate buckets, weight, but still strain through the same filter. I use a reusable coffee filter in a plastic funnel to strain into glass jars. Never had a batch of milk taste funny or go go bad.

·
Katrina
3,315 Posts
I purchased a doe in May, that's been in milk since February and we love her milk. My own doe that I raised kidded 4 weeks ago and I started milking her this week. I was curious to taste the difference between does. Glad I separated the milk because my FF has a bitter aftertaste. So for now, her milk goes in a separate container to make soap. I'll try a sip next week and I'm hoping it'll be better.

Once it tastes good, I'll combine it.

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
I milk into my stainless steal milk pail, weigh it if I have a working scale with me lol! Then filter it in a glass jar and start on the next doe.. I mix my milk and use the same filter..

Some days I just milk into the same pail and filter it together... I really pay attention while I'm milking my does so if a squirt seems to come out oddly I check the filter extra well.. If I find anything I have a good idea of who it came from then I go back out and while later and milk and filter separately to be sure :)

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I milk into my stainless steel pan then pour the milk into my milk tote which is in a bucket of ice water. Then I mill the next doe and so on till done. I then take it all in the house and strain it into chilled bottles. I use one filter. my milk is tested by the state and I have always passed my test this way.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts