The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My goat gives me 4 cups of milk a day but she is so hard to milk any ideas to help her milk better.We give her grain and beet pellets but she always moves side to side on the milk stand then she lifts her leg constantly putting her hoof in the milk drives me crazy.she also has very small teats
IMG_20200408_142628.jpeg

·
Premium Member
4,674 Posts
My goat gives me 4 cups of milk a day but she is so hard to milk any ideas to help her milk better.We give her grain and beet pellets but she always moves side to side on the milk stand then she lifts her leg constantly putting her hoof in the milk drives me crazy.she also has very small teats View attachment 180135
Tie up one leg just off the ground enough that she cannot put it down. She will not be able to balance and she should stop the foot in the bucket a d side to side mess. Always be calm when going in to milk. She will know when you are not happy about doing it. Hold the milk bucket for now with one hand and milk with the other. If you want you milk a lil and dump it in a jar and keep goin that way. Try puttin more of your hand on the udder instead of all on the teats.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tie up one leg just off the ground enough that she cannot put it down. She will not be able to balance and she should stop the foot in the bucket a d side to side mess. Always be calm when going in to milk. She will know when you are not happy about doing it. Hold the milk bucket for now with one hand and milk with the other. If you want you milk a lil and dump it in a jar and keep goin that way. Try puttin more of your hand on the udder instead of all on the teats.
Thank you I also think that her baby's make it hard for her too so tomorrow morning when I milk her I'm going to keep her all alone in the shed because I know when she hears her babys cry it stresses her out too

·
Registered
Capriculturalist and Goat Slave
1,532 Posts
Yes tie the legs.

There isn't anything you can do about the small teats other than breed to a buckling who comes from a day with much larger teats and orifices. The keep her daughter and mover her on. Or milk her with a machine.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Keep your routine consistent. Same time, same place. Goats care be very sensitive when it comes to what they like while milking.

·
Premium Member
4,674 Posts
Keep your routine consistent. Same time, same place. Goats care be very sensitive when it comes to what they like while milking.
Lord yes this! My jade... we started out with a rodeo and are down to very little crazies. But. I HAVE to sit beside her on the stand still. Even though i do not push on her. And i HAVE to put the silly hobble around her ankle even though she rarely kicks now. I have been makin it looser and looser every day to try getting it to be done lol. Oh! And i HAVE to milk the far side out first too doncha know. Goats are goofy!

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
I had a milker I bought that HAD to milk facing a wall with no distractions behind her. The area that she could see had to be spotless

·
8,168 Posts
One Togg I have, never really handled till she kidded. She was basically running wild. Took 3 milkstand events, ( get her on the stand, show her the grain, and milk). Now she is an old pro. ( after a few weeks), but! Nothing can be different! One day the wheelbarrow had moved a foot. Wow! Talk about a rodeo! So, silly, I'm introducing new things. ( pitchfork moved, bag on the ground, etc). They slowly learn and get more acceptant, UNLESS!!!! The person is all nervous and anxious or angry.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts