Milking my wild Gypsy

Discussion in 'Mini Mania' started by Victoria, May 4, 2009.

1. Victoria

Victoria New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Vernonia, Oregon
    Well, trying to milk my wild Gypsy!! It is near impossible, I have tried EVERYTHING this side of giving up!!
    She is even too freaked out to eat grain when we milk her, and she refuses to let her milk down..Tonight,
    I am ready to give up as it has been one week, and I got maybe 1/2 a cup!!! GRRRRR...her milk
    is so tastey!!! :drool: I just want to drink it warm!! I know sounds gross, but it's so good!!
    Anyways, just lookin for a bit of friendly advise, I am giving her mother's milk tea in her water to try to in
    crease her production...her udder is BEAUTIFULLLL!!!!! But she refuses to get used to milking...
    Help??? :angel2: thanks!!

2. nhsmallfarmer

nhsmallfarmer New Member

Apr 14, 2008
    New Hampshire
    i assume she is a ff
    my ff took 2 people to just about pin her down in order to milk her for about 1 week, 2x a day now she stands no problem as long as she has grain in front on her, once the grains gone she is done
    I have hubby hold her front end while I worked the back end
    the first few days she would step in the bucket never kicked at me though.
    maybe play a radio that also helped to relax my doe and talkin to her in a calm voice
    once she figures out this is going to happen 2x daily she will come around
    best of luck

3. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Oh the joy of milking!

Are the babies running around her while you are trying to milk? That may help some, or even a warm washcloth on her udder to help release the milk.

Don't give up - that is the worst thing you can do - as then she wins. She will understand it soon. You are doing good

4. Victoria

Victoria New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Vernonia, Oregon
    Yea, she is a ff..she's so awesome..I just love her..
    Her babies were sold last week, so no worries about babies running around.
    She refuses to stand in the milking stand, so my daughter
    holds her while I try to keep her standing and milk her...
    I use a hand milker due to carpeltunnel..it's the only way
    I can milk but I can hand milk her and get milk...!~
    I don't wanna give up...I will try the music...she loves country...
    and warm washcloth....thanks for the ideas.....

5. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Which "hand milker" are you using?
    I know that there are 2 out there...the Maggidans and the Udderly EZ
    I got the cheaper of the two, Maggidans, to try on my extremely small teated doe, will work in a pinch BUT the suction created is way too strong...actually made her jump around and turned her pretty pink teats purple.....I don't use it anymore.

I hope that Gypsy has learned to stand, it relly helped with Angel by talking softly and encouraging her to be a "good girl"....she's the kicker and after a month of milking, she doesn't kick anymore....but will wiggle if I take too long.