milking ND, hand or machine?

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by redfarmhousegal, Feb 7, 2013.

1. redfarmhousegal

redfarmhousegal New Member

Feb 4, 2013
    How does everyone milk their Nigerian Dwarfs? Would it be worth it to have a milking machine? What kind? Or do you prefer to hand milk?
    We would like to have 4-6 ND and alternate spring/fall kids for year round milk. Do you think that is possible?
    thanks!

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

My hands can't take milking more than 3 goats so I hand milk for up to 3 goats and then bring out my milking machine if it over 3 goats. I have a DP120 from Perry's Milkers. It is overkill but originally I was milking more goats. Now I only have 6 goats.

3. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    I can not milk a goat anymore...by hand. So, I purchased the Udderly EZ milker. It works fine on the mini goats. And, even better on the larger Alpine. Worth every penny, and the goat doesn't hate it. I was going to buy a "machine" but, this is much easier to clean and move around, I'm sure.

4. kristinatucker

kristinatucker New Member

Jan 3, 2012
    We just started using a milking machine this year on our ND. They at this point are all first freshners so they wont have as much milk as say a 3rd freshning. I found that it was too much hassle for how quickly it milked them out and I was getting nervous that it was too rough on them. We also use the udderly EZ hand pump and really like that but it does leave a few ounces behind so we use that first then hand milk till all empty. We do still use the pump sometimes but I find it easier to just do by hand. Now we have a nubian that just had babies and we will be starting to milk her next week and we plan to machine milk her I believe and then we have another ND due in a month who has had several sets of kids so should have more milk. We are still playing around with it at this point.

5. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I milk by hand and only freshen as many as I can use the milk from... usually 3.