The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to milk my doe and keep the kids on her. What is the best way to do this? I have heard it is possible to milk her out completely once a day and let the kids nurse as much as they need to. When do I start milking her out? As soon as she has the kids, or day 1, 2, 3... etc.? Is the morning best after kids have nursed? Evening? Would I need to feed the milk to the kids with a bottle or would the doe have enough throughout the day for them? I am hoping to milk her twice a day after the kids are weaned, so I would like her producing as much as possible. I would like to hear from anyone that has had experience doing this, good or bad. Thanks.

· Registered
764 Posts
Hello,

one way is to wait until the kids are old enough to eat solid food (around 3 weeks) - better to wait 2 weeks longer to make sure they really get enough nutrients from the solid food.

Many people then seperate the kids for the night from the doe, milk the doe in the morning, leaving some milk for the kids in the udder and then let the kids run with the mother during the day.

Or you can wean the kids completely at three months of age and take the whole milk for you, supplementing the kids from then on with grain, alfalfal and other concentrated feed.

Or, if your need only a small amount of milk and the doe is in good shape, you start milking her from right after birth, imitating a third kid. This may be difficult because some goats won't "let down the milk" for you and the milk yield is often smaller because the kids dring at the udder the whole day long.

It depends on how you keep your goats, if you can seperate the kids for the night f.e. and how much milk the doe gives. I have one that gives 8 pints milk per day and I HAVE to milk her from the start to prevent mastitis.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.