milking once a day?

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by Zelda, Aug 5, 2009.

1. Zelda

Zelda Guest

May 2, 2009
    I'd love to go to milking my doe once a day... She's a 2nd freshener, gallon and a half a day producer, and about 4 months fresh. She has one kid, but she doesn't let the kid nurse unless I insist.

Would milking her once a day be reasonable or should I wait and start a FF out being milked once a day next year?

I feel kind of bad making the switch with this doe because her bag is so huge and her ligs aren't the best to start with. Maybe I could go to feeding the kid once a day and I take whatever milk is there 12 hours later?

Thanks -

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    to slow production down dont milk her all the way out and soon you will be able to go to once a day milking.

3. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    At four month of age, her kid doesn't need milk anymore.

I agree with Stacey, you can stop milking her out all the way so her production drops...and after a week or two switch to once a day milking.

4. Zelda

Zelda Guest

May 2, 2009
    I've let the kid nurse because it makes it soooo much easier to milk mom after the first bit of milk is out of the hard, full udder. :greengrin: Pure laziness on my part.

I will try dropping down what I take in the PM, and probably let the kid still nurse the next few mornings (less each time). Then I'd really like to wean the kid and buy a Boer!

5. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    I understand, believe me...LOL! :ROFL:

6. Zelda

Zelda Guest

May 2, 2009
    The kid has gone three milkings without getting any :cool:

No sign of mom's udder going down yet. I am milking out a half gallon twice a day.

It really is alot easier to milk out a half gallon at a time. No hand cramps! :thumb:

I think I might be sad about milking just once a day. Weird.

7. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin
    I totally understand. I was so excited to first milk. Now at the end of summer I switched to milking once and say and I agree with you. I am a little sad.

8. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I cut my girls to once a day when I start to get less from them with 2x a day milkings, Binky was giving 3 cups 2x a day and around the first of the month she was giving 2 cups each milking...Mine let me know when it is time to back off :wink: She is now giving 3 cups with just 1x a day milkings.....and she's 5 months fresh. Now she is likely trained to do this as I dry them off during the month they are bred, October, but your doe being a FF and a high producer may continue to produce as most dairy does are kept in milk even while pregnant and dried off a month before they deliver.

Going to 1x a day milkings is sad for me too, I actually miss the 4:30 am time with each of my girls......and the quietness of that time of day too.

9. Zelda

Zelda Guest

May 2, 2009
    I have been trying to cut down the amount she gives (still milking 2x per day, never emptying her out) and I can't even get her down to a gallon per day. I'm sure if I emptied her out, there would still be a gallon and a half.

Silly girl, she is one heck of a milky goat.

10. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Then I'd have to say that you are a very lucky goat mom!! To have such a high producer the first time around is awesome :thumbup: