The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone milks once a day? I've been milking 2 FF nubians since Feb and love doing it. But now that it's summer I want to free up my nights a bit. Anyone out there do this and does it work well for you?

·
Banned
43 Posts
I tried it years ago. Yes, there was a drop in production, but the lower producing does also tended to dry up earlier, and the higher producers were uncomfortable. Twice a day milking has been the standard for quite a while, not just out of tradition, but for good reason. There are unfortunately few short cuts in good management.

·
Registered
29,999 Posts
if you have high producers, you will need to really watch them..they can become very uncomfortable....can become congested...or ill with mastisis...if you need to go once a day you should begin by slowly decreasing feed amount to decrease milk production.. then dont milk them all out when milking until each time you go out the udder is less full...then go once a day with a watchful eye,..

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Yeah, with high producing does you have to transition them to it, not just go from twice a day to once. I do that with all my does when i go from twice to once a day, even if they are not in high production. I start by cutting back on feed, then I start to milk out less on the milking i am going to cut out. I spend about 2 weeks minimum on the transition.

·
2,203 Posts
FF freshened in Feb I would say would be ok. Higher lactations or more freshenings I would "wean them" to once a day. Try it.

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,072 Posts
We prefer that, as it does free up the nights. We usually leave the kids on momma and just milk once a day until she needs to dry up for breeding. By then they are usually not letting the kids nurse any more.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Next time they freshen, leave the kids on momma for 3 weeks. Then separate at night, milk in the morning and let kids be with momma all day. Works good for me. If you know you can't milk one day, just leave babies with momma that night.

Sent from my iPhone using Goat Forum

1 - 11 of 11 Posts