The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Legacy Lane
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a few questions about the milking process. At first I had decided that I was just going to freeze milk for babies in the furture that might need bottle fed, but now since we will be moving out on our own I think I would like to use it for; a frozen supply for emergancies, additive to my feeder hogs feed, possibly raising a calf and for my families milk. I have 1 Alpine, and 2 nubians. I plan to leave kids on until week 2 then seperate at night and milk in the morning. We use about 2 gallons of milk a week as a family. My husband is wanting to try it because lately store bought milk has been upsetting his stomach. I plan to freeze some (for baby emergancies, how much should I freeze? I have heard of people raising a calf on goats milk, do they do well?
I think I want to pasturize the milk for my family, as we have a 1 year old son who is not used to unpasturized milk, I figure when he gets older we may switch to unpasturized. I would like to know how to pasturize the milk? A step by step of what you do in the milking process would be awesome, and the names of products you use. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
920 Posts
If I were in your shoes, I would have the milk tested, then when it all tested good, I would not pasturize it. I fed my daughter goat milk and she did great with it. I gave it to my Mom after she had a joint replacement and had never had my raw milk, she did great with it. But in your case, just test it, I bet you would be fine, bear in my that is my OPINION! You have to decide what is best for your family. Calves do GREAT on goat milk, have raised some myself. My chickens always give more eggs when they get fresh milk, or old milk or clabbered milk, they love it all. Pigs as well will love it and taste wonderful with the addition of goat milk. Not to forget all the great cheese you can make, and yogurt and pudding, ice cream, YUM so much you can do with goat milk, even goat milk soap, wonderful stuff.

Have fun!

·
Super Moderator
59,929 Posts
If you look online, you could probably find how to pasteurize the milk or just buy a pasteurizer from some place like Hoegger.

Between making things for the family and feeding all the different critters, you should have no problem using up all your milk.

Try to freeze some colostrum. Let the kids get a drink and milk some out to have in the freezer. Not sure how much because I have Nigerians and don't get as much from them. Personally would love to have at least a quart of colostrum in the freezer. It is good for 1 year.

As far as milk, that depends on how much freezer space you can give to milk for kids. Probably at least a few gallons but you go through a lot of milk if you bottle feed so having about 20 gallons isn't unreasonable.

I will admit that right now I have no goat milk in my freezer. I'm hoping the next time someone kids, I will be able to save colostrum and a little milk. It is nice to have enough so that they get a good start to life.

·
Legacy Lane
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have looked into testing, and plan do test, but I doubt I will be able to afford it until summer, which will be after I drink the milk.

I am interested in making cheese and such too.

I seen the prizes of a pasteurizer; that is no where in the budget! I was hoping some one who did pasteurize could tell me how they do it. I am doing so research now to see all the options.
Thanks for your replies!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts