The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a chance to buy a heavily pregnant Pygmy nanny and she is only $75 dollar but I was wondering if anyone milks them? I am not expecting a lot of milk but I was wondering if anyone did milk them and if you could give me any tips.

Thanks

·
Registered
30,576 Posts
I agree with Kylee, also Check teat size..some have tiny teats that can kill your hands to milk.. ...you will need a table higher than you would for a standard breed to save your back..and it should be adjusted so she can reach the feeder while you milk..but its doable :D

·
558 Posts
If you want milk, I would be looking into dairy breeds.

·
Super Moderator
58,864 Posts
There are Pygmies that will milk as good as a dairy goat. It just depends on breeding. If you are willing to take a chance on her and not looking for tons of milk, go for it.

Just give it time to get used to milking. It takes a lot of practice when you first start milking.

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts
There are Pygmies that will milk as good as a dairy goat. It just depends on breeding. If you are willing to take a chance on her and not looking for tons of milk, go for it.

Just give it time to get used to milking. It takes a lot of practice when you first start milking.
LOL the only thing I could picture in my mind was a pygmie rolling around on her udder. Kinda like them kids blow up boxing wobble things.

·
Registered
129 Posts
There are some good you tubes of milking ND - it's not much different. I did hear from a friend that the teats of her pygmy didn't develop as well/quickly as the ND but she did give a respectable amount of milk.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts