Milking question from uses to taste?

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by miller4528, Jun 1, 2020.

1. miller4528

miller4528 New Member

May 15, 2020
    pa
    Okay so my first goat had 2 kids and im not milking her but the kids leave next week so i will be then, my other 2 does firstimers sadly lost theirs so i have been milking them since and i had been just freezing cubes for soap making later but im getting a large amount of frozen milk and want to know what else could i use it for, I plan on drinking it but i was told the first few weeks was 'baby milk' and had a off taste which it does seem too have a bitter taste. Now i moved my buck out of the same pen as the does because he was showing he wanted to rebreed them hes in a pen that is literally attached but he isnt going bucky now since hes not in with them and he was never a smelly buck but to prevent them from breeding and him scenting the does and i was told this could effect the milk as well. So any idea why my milk is still bitter tasting? hes not in with them and they are about 2 weeks after kidding will it start to taste better soon? i use a milker so no dirt in the milk and i use a fine strainer to double make sure nothing is in the milk then chill it in the freezer for a bit before putting it in the fridge all glass jars. Since its got a bitter after taste i have been using it some but mostly freezing it for soap making. Also i want to make cheese but not sure if using bitter tasting milk is the best for it incase the bitter taste follows. I raise nigerian dwarfs

2. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    How and what are you feeding the goats? Feed, mineral, hay forage, pasture? Pics might also help.

MadHouse and goatblessings like this.

3. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    The goats diet, minerals, and genetics all can affect the taste of the milk. Good questions from Sfgwife

MadHouse likes this.
  4. Nigerian dwarf goat

Nigerian dwarf goat Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    How quickly are you chilling it

MadHouse likes this.
  5. miller4528

miller4528 New Member

May 15, 2020
    pa
    Im chilling it within minutes of milking as i take it back into the house, i read some say it can just be the colostrum in the milk taking a few weeks to leave? The one is going on 3 weeks since she lost hers the other is about 1.5 weeks after kidding.

As far as food they get free choice minerals with free choice baking soda, rain water i collect because the well water has iron, they are getting orchard grass hay with timothy they love the grass hay, they have a pasture and i put them in the yard for even fresher grass few times a week for a few hours and they get alfalfa pellets as im out of the hay bales of it currently. They get some goat feed with oats and beet pulp pellets mix in as well.

The taste isnt make you sick bad but its an after taste when used in my breakfast cereal i dont notice it much so its not that bad but still not something you want in your milk. Iam hoping its just "baby milk" as some others have said im just freezing the most of it now so it isnt wasted.

MadHouse likes this.
  6. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    Do you copper bolus them? Selenium?

7. miller4528

miller4528 New Member

May 15, 2020
    pa
    Give them free choice but also copper bolus

8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    If they are showing signs, give a copper bolus, as well as their minerals free choice. ;)

goatblessings likes this.
  9. miller4528

miller4528 New Member

May 15, 2020
    pa
    Okay update I know both goats separately this evening Gamora who had her kid almost a month ago has bitter aftertaste to the milk Victoria who had her baby about half a month ago doesn't seem to have the aftertaste so why would one go to have it and the other not what are the symptoms of mastitis she doesn't seem to have any discomfort when I'm milking her she's actually the better milker and she produces slightly more than Victoria

10. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    Sometimes its just genetics......

toth boer goats likes this.