milking question

Discussion in 'Mini Mania' started by countryboy, Jul 14, 2009.

1. countryboy

countryboy New Member

Dec 7, 2008
    All I have is nigerians, so the questions go here. How long do ya'll milk ya'lls nigerians? I have more questions but will use that answer to help me asks the rest.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    how long? like each day or for how many months?

I takes me less then 5 min to milk a couple goats. I milk them till I decided to breed them ( so like 7 months give or take)

3. countryboy

countryboy New Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Thank you for the answer. I was speaking of month wise. The rest of the story is that I milk once a day. At night I keep mom and kids apart. I milk in the morning and put back with kids in the day. I never know if I will be home in the afternoon to milk her, so to be kind I let the kids drink my milk. We have two baby [human] kids so I don't want the wife with that headache of milking the goats. My question is am I helping by letting the goat kids be with her that long. I think I read somewhere that I need to get as much milk as possible, for as long as possible to have a long milking career for the doe.

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    thats what i do :)

until the babies leave that is then I go to milking twice a day to keep her production up.

5. ChestnutGrove

ChestnutGrove New Member

Apr 29, 2009
    Tennessee
    I have kept some does milking for 2 years (both the standards and the NDs) - I had a Togg once that dried up on her own - I was mad and got rid of the goat as I have NEVER had a goat dry up on their own before. It is in the genetics I would say after owning that doe (and Toggs are known for milking through for years).

Where you are going to run into a drop in milk production is when the kids wean themselves or when you wean them - if you keep with only one milking per day (and I understand about not having your wife milk) - BUT that is okay because it will not dry them up (or should not).

I think what you read was to keep sure you milk the goat out completely as if you do not she will start dropping her milk production as you are telling her by leaving milk that she does not need to milk as much. Right now though that is an none issue as the kids are going to be drinking any leftover you missed. When it really counts is when the kids are weaned to keep sure you get her milked out.

Deidre :horse:

6. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Miliking her in the mornings and leaving the kids with her is what I do til the kids leave at 8-10 weeks, then I milk 2x a day at 12 hour intervals. I milk until October/November when I decide to have them bred again.....usually they keep production up til September then will slow down. Currently I am milking a nigi and a nigi/pygmy that freshened mid March, so they have been in milk for 4 months and will go for another 3-4 months. I also am still milking a pygmy/nigi doe that freshened 17 months ago, granted it is just once a day but she is still giving me just under a pound a day....and I have no plans on having her bred again, she's 9 years old and too much of a pet to stress with a kidding as an older doe.

So, my average for a nigie is around 7-8 months of milking.

7. countryboy

countryboy New Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Thank ya'll. How long can I keep the kids with her so that they do my work in the day time.

8. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    They can stay with her indefinately, BUT the older they get, the less time mom will allow them to nurse as most does will start to wean their kids on average at about 3-4 months old, when they get toi be that age, you will likely see a drop in her production, separating them totally once they hit 3 months will allow you to get as much as possible if you still choose to milk 1x a day. I usually milk at 4 30 am and 5pm.