What am I doing wrong? I purchased two registered nubian does from a lady who claimed she had never had a minutes trouble with either of them...she was just reducing her milk herd. They are beautiful, now 4 and 7 years old. The seven year old did not get bred last year (our buck was young) but the other did. She kidded a single doeling and immediately got mastitis which I battled until July when I decided to dry her up before more damage was done. Her udder softened again and I had high hopes for this year. Both girls were bred this year and kidded a day apart...both kidded singles. With the kids only nursing on one side I began milking the other udder on both girls and the doe that had mastitis last year tested positive immediately again...udder felt congested but not hot, no fever so I got aggressive treating her, still am today. The other doe seems to be doing okay. Milk is not testing positive doing the CMT test but there does seem to be a "hard" or less soft area in one side of her udder also. She hasn't been on a milk stand since I brought her home so she's still fighting me a little but with a bucket under her belly I have been able to milk her. My question is, after milking both does, their udders are never empty although I can't get another drop. I have massaged the udder, took a break and brushed them, I talk to them, anything I can do to try and make them relax and "let down their milk" but I always feel like they are holding back on me. The doe without mastitis has one side that is wrinkled and flat by the time the kid gets what she wants and there is seldom anything for me to milk out on that side so I now know what an empty udder should look and feel like but I can never get there on her other side or on either side of the other doe! Could it be that she just sold me does with bad udders or does she had had trouble with or am I doing something wrong...or are my girls just stubborn. Just so it's out there, I am letting the kids nurse all they want right now, haven't separated them as they are just now 2 weeks old and yesterday I got 40ml of milk from the doe with mastitis (I know this because I'm feeding it back to her in hopes of her building antibodies to fight the mastitis) and about a cup of milk from the other doe. Last year in between the mastitis infections I was getting nearly 1/2 gallon from that doe so milk production is way down from that and feed rations are the same. If anyone has any suggestions or advice please chime in!