Milking questions

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by Cinder, Aug 31, 2008.

1. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    1) I know that when you are milking you don't want to let milk go back upwards from the teat into the udder, so you need to keep a tight hold on the top of the teat. What happens if you don't always get all the milk squeezed out of the teat with each motion? When you release the teat to let more milk down into it then there may still be some milk in it. Is that bad? Do I have to make sure I really get all the milk squeezed out each time I squeeze the teat?

2) Also, when I think I'm done milking I can always get some more milk from each teat. I think I could sit there all day and milk if I keep massaging their udder and then squirting again. At what point can I really know that they are milked out? What happens if I don't get them completely milked out on one milking?

2. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    1. No you don't, you just squeeze out what you can every time you do, you don't have to squeeze all of it out. If I sat there and squeezed it all out at once, it would take me a long time to milk! lol I've never heard the thing about not wanting the milk to go back up into the udder.

2. If you are a beginner milker, keep bumping and massaging her udder until you get a tiny stream of milk instead of a big stream. They are constantly producing milk so when her teats stop filling up as fast, you should be done milking. As you get more and more experienced, you can usually milk fast enough that it will take a while for her teats to fill back up.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    1) nope dont have to squeeze it all out in each motion. Just squeeze, release, squeeze release.

sarah it is uncomfortable to the doe if you squeeze teh teat and the milk shoots back up into her udder ---- they sometime will jump or dance around in discomfort

2) at the point where you are only getting little squirts or small streams you can stop milking. Usually for me when that happends I massage the udder a little bit more and then try milking again and then massage again. This lets her body know that it needs to continue to make milk as "there wasnt enough" If the doe is providing plenty of milk then doing massaging over and over isnt as important.

Happy milking :thumbup: