Milking questions?

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by mistyblue, Apr 7, 2009.

1. mistyblue

mistyblue Senior Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Angleton, Texas
    I have recently started milking one of my ND does. Now as she is wild, wild, wild, I hook a line to her collar and tie her to the fence. I then wipe her down with a wet wipe, give a few minutes to dry and then milk her. Afterwards I rub bag balm on her udder as I had noticed that is was really dry and flaky. She also had developed some sores on her udder from her bag getting to big and her legs rubbing it.

So is this ok with the wet wipe and the bag balm, also how long can I milk her for. Her babies will be 6 weeks this Friday.

I sell the milk to a boer breeder, who uses it to feed her bottle babies.

2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Are those babies still nursing? The way you are doing it is fine, but because her kids are only 6 weeks I would just milk her once a day, then start to twice a day at 7 weeks, keeping the kids separted from her. The longer they have milk the healthier they will be, IMO. :)

3. mistyblue

mistyblue Senior Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Angleton, Texas
    They are in with mom, but they are really not nursing all that much. They are eating on their own and only occasionaly nurse.

4. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    If you separate them from mom at night, and then milk in the morning...you will be surprised at how much they are actually nursing..lol

I don't usually get afull 12 hour fill on my does til the kids leave or I put them up earlier....but in order for me to milk in the am..it has to be before work..at 4 30, and I don't put kids away til 9pm....its still too daylight outside to put them up any earlier than that, I like seeing kids play til dark :wink:

The bag balm will help her chaffing...my ND doe actually has bald spots on the insides of her legs, I shaved her udder and the stubble wore the hair off...lol

5. mistyblue

mistyblue Senior Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Angleton, Texas
    Ok babies up at night and milk mom in the morning, I can do that. And I am glad to hear about the bag balm, those sores were bad looking, but they seem to be better after just a few days.

6. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    If you have opportunity to do a 12 hour fill go for it...separate at night and milk around the ame hour next morning, then leave the kids on her thru the day. When I separate at night at 4-5 weeks, I leave the kids with mom aferwards so they have from 5 am til 9 pm with mom, then I strip mom out at 9pm and milk the next am...at 6 weeks I keep them separate for both milkings, kds with mom from 4 30 pm til 9 pm and do this til they are at 7 weeks, then separate completely, helps with the transition to ew homes as well, they are not as dependent on mom. I do offer a bottle at 6 weeks in the am...just for security, if they take it great if not I don't force them.