Milking Stand

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Jenna, Mar 25, 2010.

1. Jenna

Jenna New Member

Jan 7, 2009
    Hi,
    I need a new milking stand just for milking so I can keep it super clean so as I can drink the milk. ( the one i have know i feed goats on trim hooves and vaccinate etc. and clip for shows.)
    So here's the questions....
    Where did you get your favorite milking stand?
    What do you like about it?
    Did you make it yourself?

Thanks a ton!!
    edited to add: do you remember how much it cost?

2. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    We made our milkstand from the plans on FiascoFarms.com . I use it for EVERYTHING, milking, clipping, trimming hooves, once overs, EVERYTHING. Ours is made from wood and the girls do poop on it occasionally, just sweep it off and the pellets are but a memory to be erased by the sweet taste of fresh milk. I milk into a small container to be dumped into a larger one so if a berry lands in it its just a little bit tossed. I can't imagine having a piece of equipment on my little farm that doesn't multitask.

3. trailriding2dressage

trailriding2dressage Member

Mar 25, 2010
    we made out milking stand, we got the plans from fiasco farm website. And this milk stand was worth making! It works great!

4. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    We made ours out of salvaged wood...didn't cost anything except the few screws we had to buy. We didn't use any specific plans but it is similar to most of the milk stands you can find plans for online.

I use the same stand for milking, hoof trims, and shots. The goats usually don't poop while they are on the stand but occasionally they do and it easy to brush off the poo berries...I take a scrub brush and bleach water to it every couple days when it is in regular use.

5. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    We made ours out of scrap wood too. Also added some roofing to the flat surface.
    When milking I dump some white vinegar water on it & sweep off excess soon as milk gets put up.

6. lupinfarm

lupinfarm New Member

Thanks so much guys. I made it 3ft x 4ft, but I might downside the width to perhaps 2.5ft x 4ft. I have a lot of stuff hanging out here at home to build it with already, and probably won't have to buy anything for it. Okay, maybe a rubber stall mat to cut down for the top.

7. 7acreranch

7acreranch New Member

Mar 8, 2010
    Eastern OK
    My wife is always saying why do save all that scrap. My answer for your next project my dear. :laugh:

8. farmgirl42

farmgirl42 New Member

Jan 2, 2010
    Eastern Ohio
    OMGosh! That's exactly what my hubby tells me! (and it's usually exactly how it works, too!) :ROFL: