Milking time

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by ZipperDoo, May 7, 2010.

1. ZipperDoo

ZipperDoo Member

Apr 18, 2010
    This morning I decided to grab my cam and snap a couple pictures of Penny before I milked her. She's such a good girl, as long as she has a bucket of grain in front of her, I can milk her out like this with NO problems whatsoever. :)

I also realized while uploading these pics that I really need to shave her udder. :\ Egads.

Not that you can really see anything with the fluff...
    [​IMG]

She is SO easy to milk. Perfect size for my hands. ^.^
    [​IMG]

And this is just shy of half a gallon, and is all that was in that udder this morning! (and ew, sorry about the yucky microwave front. Why is it you rarely notice a mess until you take a picture of it??)
    [​IMG]

How's she look? :)

2. MiGoat

MiGoat New Member

Apr 21, 2010
    West Michigan
    Well I'm having teat envy again. LOL
    She has a beautiful udder! Those rear attachments are very good aren't they? Her teats hang straight down too.
    You're a lucky one for sure!

3. ZipperDoo

ZipperDoo Member

Apr 18, 2010
    Honestly; I sheepishly admit I have no idea. What I do know though, is that milking her is effortless. I pop a squat behind her while she eats, and her height, my height, and her teats and udder are perfect for me; I rest my elbows on my thighs and look out at the view over my property.

Since getting her, I actually LIKE getting up with the sun. And she's such a nice goat too. Sometimes I just wonder what the neighbors up the hill think. Every morning at 7am sharp I'm out there in my rainbow pants and fuzzy purple bathrobe, milking a goat with no stanchion and admiring the mist on the treeline.

Oh my goodness. I'm the neighborhood crazy lady. XD

(In reality, I just don't believe on putting on pants before 8am if I can help it!)

4. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    You think I put real clothes on before wandering out to the goats...think again! LOL

What a gorgeous doe and lovely udder!

5. Realfoodmama

Realfoodmama New Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Santa Fe, NM
    Aww, what a happy looking goaty! And look at all that frothy milk!

Is she a Saanen/LaMancha mix? She's lovely and has a very nice udder. I wish mine had teats like that!

As for the pants issue, I saw go with what works. I milk in my PJ's pretty much every morning and frequently rest my head on my goat while I milk :love: ...we like to bond, and she thinks my PJ's are cute so that is all that matters!

6. ZipperDoo

ZipperDoo Member

Apr 18, 2010
    Thank goodness I'm not the only one to milk in PJ's. haha!

Penny is indeed a saanan/lamancha cross. :)

I have a question if anyone knows the answer... here in Washington, if I were going to do a show clip on her, when is okay to do that without risking her getting too cold at night or when it rains?

I'm probably just going to shave her udder and leave it at that, but... Curious about the full body thing in case I change my mind.

7. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    BEAUTIFUL! And very drool worthy! :drool:

LOL... I get up at 4:30 to milk before I head to work, I am always in the barn in my PJ's!

8. ZipperDoo

ZipperDoo Member

Apr 18, 2010
    haha, we don't have a barn yet... I was thinking about constructing a "tube barn" like was on the site awhile ago. But, I lack the funds as of yet.

So the got hut is currently a couple of tarps and the side of our house + plastic dog crates. It keeps the wind and the weather out, but is NOT the permanent set up. Just waiting on funds, mostly. Siiiiiiiigh. Hoping I might be able to sell enough cheese to my friends to pay for a more permanent set up. Then I just have to figure something out for fencing in our 10 or so acres adequately enough to let the goats actually run "free".

Two of the three of todays milkings have yielded just under a half a gallon of milk!! O.O

Half an hour until the last milking of the day. I'm afraid it's going to be a full half gallon... morning and evening yields are always biggest.

9. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Very nice udder and teats indeed... :thumb: :wink:

10. redneck_acres

redneck_acres New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Idaho
    Very lovely udder on that doe! Hey-believe me the goats don't seem to care what I wear out to the barn-I go in my sweatpants in the morning and with my wild morning hair do-as long as they get their cookies they are happy ;-), LoL...