The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my ND had her babies two week ago. We sold them as bottle Feeds to a couple of 4h girls and they are doing great. Trouble is, moms udders are so full and tight she can barely walk. I've never milked her before. We don't have a milking stand. When I get down there she kicks and runs away. I tried tying her of and giving her some grain and hay and she still kicked like crazy. I'm sure it's partly because they are tender. As soon as I do get a hand on one, milk pretty much comes flying out. Any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
58,899 Posts
Milk her out. You just have to find a way to restrain her and milk her out. Have another person hold her back legs so she can't kick.

·
Registered
30,613 Posts
I agree with Karen....Im sure they are tender.. You will need to find a way..have some one hold her...have something on her left side to prevent her from moving to the side a fence, tree or building,.., begin by brushing her and talking softly,,then sit at her right side and start by touching her hip..rub your hand down her leg then gently her teat...some goat do not like a grab and milk approach..keep singng or humming softly..once you get her teat begin milking as fast as you can with out hurting her..once the pressure is off she may settle and allow a full milking..Keep a clean bucket ready to dump milk in as you go so she doent kick a full pail of milk over..keep at it..: ) good luck

·
Registered
11 Posts
We are new to making, but you can make a milking stand in just a few hours, and trust me, it is worth it. Our Nubian only stands still if being fed from the trunk of my car (my in a pinch feeding option when stand was still under construction) or in the milking stand. She doesn't stand well for someone holding her, even with feed. She is a dream in a milking stand.

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts
Once you get her to stand, as tight as she is, try using a very warm wet dish towel wrapped around her udder before milking, it helps with flow and will make her comfortable. IF you are not planning to be milking every day 2x a day with her, I suggest only milking enough to relieve pressure and give her no grain until she dries up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts