Milking with Panty Hose

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by Perfect7, Jul 12, 2010.

1. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia
    Was awesome! :ROFL: We have gnats by the millions with all of the rain and I never could shave our nubian enough to keep the hairs out of the milk. (Dern rookies) Uhg! Disgusting. I filter it after milking but still...the thought of gnats and hair swimming in the milk before it gets filtered was really gross. So, I went from using my milk pail to a 1/2 gallon mason jar and put a brand new "knee high" panty hose on the top of the jar tonight. No bugs, no hair. :cool:
    I'm going to toss the knee high into the dishwasher and see how that turns out, because that could get a bit expensive to keep using a new one each time, but thought I'd share. I was so happy!
    Oh ya, clean milk!

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    LOL...I never even thought of that!! Good one, Thank you!

3. Lawanda

Lawanda New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    West Virginia
    Maybe I am weird, but if I strain it, it doesn't bother me!! LOL! :p

That is a cool idea though. I may keep that in mind for when I am doing this more. :)

4. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    No Lawanda...you aren't wierd! I do the same, milk into a container and just put the lid on after, strain into a clean jar and stick it in the fridge, haven't found a hair yet.

5. zoomom

zoomom New Member

Feb 26, 2010
    It's funny how certain things gross you out (filtering after vs not getting the gnats/hair in the milk in the first place)

I never bothered washing eggs before i ate them - if they looked clean, they were good enough (i do wash the ones i sell) but then someone on the poultry board was talking about which orifice they come out of, and what else comes out of the same orifice, and all of a sudden i was really grossed out (sometimes when i'm lazy i still don't wash them but i always think that i SHOULD wash them first lol)

6. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia
    Surprisingly, my dh came up with the idea. I was thinking of disposable surgical hats or something and he said panty hose. :laugh:
    Thinking about the gnats wasn't as bad as me thinking about the hair and her lying down in goat pellets, urine, etc before that hair fell into the milk. Then I would see about 5 or 6 hairs each time in the filter so I began to not drink so much milk (unless mixed into my coffee because that will kill anything, don't ya know?).
    I'm sure it's more of my thought process than an actual threat of any kind, but now I drink in peace. :laugh:
    I've got Legs and know how to use them. :slapfloor:

7. Lawanda

Lawanda New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    West Virginia
    :ROFL:

8. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    :ROFL: :slapfloor: I have to read some of the threads just because of the title! Too funny.

Gina

9. kannm

kannm New Member

Mar 18, 2009
    Funny! :slapfloor:

10. Mon Reve Farm

Mon Reve Farm New Member

Jun 25, 2010
    Southern DE
    I laughed out loud!!! So funny... :ROFL:

11. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia
    :p I can now report that I have quit using any other form of straining device because my legs work so well! They also take a washing and keep on going! I've been on the same pair of legs for eight days now, one leg in the morning and one leg in the evening. They go in the dishwasher overnight and back to work the next day! So far, no runs and doing great! :clap:

12. logansmommy7

logansmommy7 New Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    I like it! Thanks for the tip!!!

13. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia
    No problem! I'll bet if I got the extra large panty hose I could even go back to using the gallon milk pail. :laugh: I mean, people fit them over their heads in robberies so why not?

14. kannm

kannm New Member

Mar 18, 2009
    My husband uses them to hold the fruit when he makes fruit wine.

He also wanted me to mention that he fit a nine year old girl into one leg (horsing around).

15. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    LMBO.... I'll have to remember this when/if I start milking. Its funny because the gross out factor of hair and other things "touching" the milk is one of the main reasons I haven't started milking..... besides not yet having time for it. :) Great tip THANKS!

16. ChestnutGrove

ChestnutGrove New Member

Apr 29, 2009
    Tennessee
    Never thought of that idea! You should share pictures lols!

17. Itchysmom

Itchysmom New Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington
    What a neat idea! Thanks for thinking of it.