The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I am probably going to sound really dumb, but here goes...
Once my does have their babies, I want to milk. Neither have been milked before, how do i go about getting them to let me milk?

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
It helps to have them used to touching their udder and being on a stand first. If you have a stand I would get them used to standing there and eating while you pet them. Just do a tiny bit everyday. If you don't have a stand you can buy one or make one. I made my own and it was much cheaper and does the job. :)

You should wait about two weeks for the moms colostrum to clear up in the milk. To milk you just need a bucket that you can clean really well and a special strainer. That's just to get any dirt or hairs out.

·
1,524 Posts
Be there when the doe kids. Get your hands covered with birth fluids and let the doe lick it off. That helps bond the doe to you. I tend to leave my doelings alone, so they can get a bit wild. When they kid, I am sure to be there, and do the birth fluid/bonding thing. After that, they accept me, act very friendly and are really good about me milking them because I have been accepted as their "kid".

·
Registered
637 Posts
Good thread, was looking around for tips as well, (away for the weekend and apparantly my 10yr has started milking without me... new doe we got on Friday... I think she had been started on being trained to the stand and child just kept luring her onto it with grain).... but any tips from the old timers would be great....

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Good thread, was looking around for tips as well, (away for the weekend and apparantly my 10yr has started milking without me... new doe we got on Friday... I think she had been started on being trained to the stand and child just kept luring her onto it with grain).... but any tips from the old timers would be great....
Well I'm no old timer but I have been milking since April and my does have put me through everything behavior wise on the stand. Plus we've learned a ton milking them. Lol

The best thing to do is make sure they can eat something on the stand and stay occupied. I feed them their grain and then put in shredded Alfalfa cubes. It helps to have used to being locked in the stand first though and having their udder touched. I always wipe with an udder wash before and after milking to keep them clean. After you milk make sure chill the milk right away. I always put it in the freezer for 2 hours.

Also, milking can be really stressful at first so just be prepared for anything.. Every doe is different, and some care about it more than others. Just be patient. It gets much easier with time :)

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts
1) Get a milk stand with a head gate
2) Feed your does on that stand every day
3) Allow them a week of feedings on the stand before you start touching their udders and belly, pregnant does will instinctively want to protect those areas and will kick and move about so the more comfortable they are on the stand and with you the less stress they will have.
4) Make it a point in your routine that EVERY goat you have is handled and rewarded to ensure they are co-operative and comfortable being touched...most are very food driven and this can be used to your advantage.
5) I am present at every birth here and even with first fresheners, they are started as babies on the milk stand for vaccinations, hoof trims, clipping etc and having their food in front of them reinforces a positive feeling for the experience :)

I have 11 goats in my care, 3 are does who I milk and are very well trained to the process, 3 are bucks who know to get on the stand for goodies when I do maintenance with them, 2 does are in process of being milk stand friendly and one will be a FF in February :)
2 pet does...Angel and Heidi and my wether Teddy are also milk stand trained, Angel had been freshened 4x in previous years and still knows the routine :)
Persistance and patience along with reward makes the process rewarding for you.
There are other ways to do this without a milk stand and I have done it before my hubby built mine but I will say from experience, save yourself a headache and get a stand first :)

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,090 Posts
First Fresheners can be tough, but with persistence, they will learn. Some learn fast, some are little devils. :laugh:

·
8,274 Posts
The milk stand can be used for everything! Trimming hooves, injections, clipping, eye meds, bathing, and even milking!
After you do an unpleasant task, or actually anything, give them their favorite treat- it leaves them with a good impression.
Mine love root beer barrels, so for a real special treat, they get a root beer barrel while on the milk stand. (I like root beer barrels, too!) :)

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That sounds like a great idea, except for one small problem... my goats are sooo skittish. I've been able to touch them while they eat, but other than that, I cannot get anywhere near them, unless I catch them, which is the pits!

·
Registered
206 Posts
I have one girl who came from a farm where she was never touched, she always ran from me. I began catching her every few days and holding her in my lap. I would pet her and scratch her and now she will at least let me come up to her and pet her without running from me. You just have to be consistent and they will come around.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts