The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Raising Nigerian Dwarf goats as backyard milkers.
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m super excited to announce that one of the cows is about to drop her first calf!
Rose is a 2 year old British White heifer. We don’t know her exact due date but today I saw an udder bump, her back end is loose, she has some discharge, and she is not as social today. She is being put in the small pasture tonight so we will see if we have a calf soon! Y’all vote on boy or girl! She was bred to a British White bull.
Cloud Sky Working animal Fawn Tree

Fence Grass Grassland Working animal Goat

Cloud Sky Plant Tree Working animal

Plant Working animal Deer Fawn Grass

Plant Dog breed Fawn Grass Grassland

Rose is the cow in front in the second and third pics.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes, this was Rose’s Waiting Thread but I have changed it to Milkshake. We have two British Whites and only Rose is supposed to be pregnant. Last Friday when I made this thread I was actually looking at Milkshake, the 13 month old heifer. She was the one getting an udder. I realized that night I mixed them up. So the 13 month old growing an udder I knew was bad and was really hoping she just had a Precocious Udder. Fast forward to Wednesday afternoon and Milkshake is missing. Me and my brother went looking for her and found her off alone having contractions and pushing. After leaving her alone for a few hours we moved her to the barn because she had been pushing too long with nothing happening. A rancher neighbor came over with his calf puller and we had absolutely no luck pulling it. The calf was too big for her. She kept going down and we weren’t making progress. Yesterday morning we took her to the vet and they said since the calf was dead and she already smelled like infection c-section was too risky because of cross contamination so it would have to be pulled. It was about 30 mins from beginning to end. It was very hard on Milkshake. Vet said he knew she would tear but it had to be done. The calf was a big bull calf. It had most likely suffocated. It looked very healthy and a normal sized calf. She was just too small of a cow. Vet dosed her with antibiotics and pain meds and sent us home. It took awhile to get her 8 feet from the trailer to the barn stall but she made it in about 2 hours since she kept going down and we would let her rest. She didn’t lay down at all again until this morning. She hasn’t eaten a whole lot. She really only likes the grass and clover we take her. She has sipped water and there. She licked some molasses off my fingers earlier. She’s now getting up and down on her own better. Tomorrow we might let her go outside if she looks like she has more energy. She was definitely feeling much better when we checked her this morning. She’s now remembering she’s afraid of humans. We are going to continue to take care of her and she will most likely not ever be bred again. She’s too torn up. Seller literally had no clue she was pregnant and couldn’t believe it when we told him she was in labor. We’ve bought from him before and we trust him. Vet that took care of her was amazing. He was young but knew exactly what he what he was doing. He was also very nice to us and wasn’t in a big rush to get to the next patient as quick as possible like most of the vets we used in TX seemed to be like. I would totally trust taking cows to him again. And maybe goats too.
I’ll be posting when it looks like Rose is close. Right now she doesn’t have an udder yet but her teats are starting to drop a little.
Here is Milkshake now. Poor girl looks much, MUCH better today. First pic was when she was finally up yesterday and last two are today.
Working animal Dairy cow Terrestrial animal Grass Snout

Working animal Wood Sheep Fawn Horn

Vertebrate Mammal Grass Working animal Wood

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Aww she’s adorable! I’m going to guess September 10th. I’m not sure on the breed, have never had one but if she was a brahama I would say she has 3 months to go lol but I’ll swing towards if she was a angus and say about a month
I’m assuming your talking about Rose, not Milkshake right? Lol

1 - 20 of 29 Posts