Millie is limping **updated**

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by jay13, Feb 25, 2010.

1. jay13

jay13 New Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Central NC
    So I go out to check on my goats this afternoon and Millie is limping on 3 legs only! I take a closer look and see that her leg is hurt. It looks like a scrape of some kind, there is blood on the milking stand not so much that I am worried about blood loss, but quite a bit. Is this like a scalp wound? Do injuries at the hoof usually bleed a lot? I think for the most part the bleeding as stopped as far as I can tell. I tried to find what she scraped it on but can't find blood or fur on anything. The most likely culprit is the door to their metal shed which was finally knocked off its track and was laying inside. I suppose it is possible that she scraped it on that and then didn't bleed until later? I have since removed the door from the yard. I believe they had their last CD/T last spring so I suppose that I should go ahead and give her her booster now instead of waiting? Will it hurt her to get two shots kinda close? Her (if she is preggers) shot was scheduled for June 1.... I want the antibodies to get passed on to her kids but don't want her to get sick.

She doesn't want to put any weight on the affected leg, and is holding it up as she hobbles on 3 feet. I got their back hooves trimmed last week but haven't done the front ( I know, they aren't in great shape). They don't like to stand still for it for more than 10 min at a time.

Can you all think of anything else that I need to do? I know we tend to over prescribe antibiotics in people and animals both but is this a case where a shot of Penn would be called for? She doesn't like me messing with it much, it seems tender. I would be able to tell if she had broken it or something right? I am just worried that something is going to go terribly wrong!

ETA: she isn't crying or anything jsut doesn't like to walk around much.

2. jay13

jay13 New Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Central NC
    Re: Millie is limping

Here is a pic showing the injured leg...

Attached Files:

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

It is hard to see...

giving her another CD&T won't hurt....

Is it broke ?

check high in her hip area as well... she may of broke it or twisted it...
    in the scraped area... feel to see if there is a break...

If it is lightly scrapped..? If the wound isn't deep.. then cleaning it up good and putting blue spray on it ...will be OK....

4. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts

I would give her a CDT booster now and then not give her one in June because she should be all set.

I would shave the area, clean it up with some warm water and a couple drops of iodine. A broken leg is always possible, did you feel anything move that shouldn't have when you felt the leg? Did it feel "crunchy" at all? It sure does look swollen to me.

Antibiotics wouldn't hurt

5. jay13

jay13 New Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Central NC

It didn't feel crunchy but I had a hard time getting the "ankle?" to move and she hated it when I tried. The shot in June would be the one 4 weeks before she is due to kid so that the kids get the antibodies? I didn't feel anything wrong in the rest of her leg, just the bit there by the hoof. Is it normal for them to bleed a lot when injured there? I will check her hip and see if there is any disfunction there, I dont' think so but will check. I don't have blue spray, just wound powder to stop bleeding... any ideas on what I can use instead? I suppose I could clean it up and put an ace bandage on it to keep it clean? she would probably just chew it off though. She chews everything.

Also, what is the dosage for CD/T? Never have given the shots before, they had their last one where I bought them from last year. also what is dose for Penn?

6. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts

If the ankle wont move she could have either broken or dislocated something...or just sprained it really bad.

Giving her the cdt now will still boost her antibodies enough that you wouldn't need to give the shot in June, but you still could. It's 2cc sq or im. But check your bottle to make sure.

7. jay13

jay13 New Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Central NC

Ok, is there anything other than penicillin that I can give her to boost her immune system? Vitamins or something? I only have pen-aqueous on hand and that is supposed to be for respiratory stuff.(according to the internet)

8. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts

You can give her one or two vitamin C pills a day.

Pen G is 1cc per 20lbs twice a day for 5 days.

What do you have on hand for wound care?

9. jay13

jay13 New Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Central NC

I have wound powder to stop bleeding... idodine but thats about it except for people stuff... neosporin some bandages...

I am feeling really inadequate right now... sheesh Duh, I should have had x,y, z on hand...

10. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

Also if you have banamine ...it will take down the swelling and help with pain..
    I wouldn't wrap it if it isn't to deep.... just keep her in a clean area..and put something like blue spray on it...to help it dry up and heal :wink: :hug:

11. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts

Thats fine, it's just easier for me to know what you have on hand instead of telling you what to do with stuff you don't have. ;) :hug:

Well if you can I would shave the area around the wound, if you can't oh well. I'd wash the wound out really good with warm water with a couple drops of iodine in it. Then I would put the neosporin on it. Try to keep the area clean but don't bandage it or you will just hold in infection.

Banamine will help if you have it 1cc per 100lbs. :)

12. jay13

jay13 New Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Central NC

No banamine :( just got set up on that vetserv place, was going to put that on my list to get... along with several other things .... the list keeps getting longer..........and longer......

Is there anything else for the pain I can give her? Asprin maybe? I am on my way out to give shots and a shave, I hope she doesn't kick too much. Do you think a soak in some epsom salts with warm water would help? (Helps people with sprains....)

13. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts

If you can get her to soak it that would be great, just add the salts and the iodine as well. That will also wash it all out for you.

You can give aspirin. They can have up to 1000mg per 20lbs

14. jay13

jay13 New Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Central NC

You would think I was asking her to commit harry carry rather than soak her hoof... forgot how much goats dislike wet feet! She soaked it for like 5 min with me forcing her to hold it there. Ok, Pen-G given will give second dose later tonight... poor thing! I only have a 3cc syringe and she's full grown so its 2 shots to give her her dose! She really doesn't like me right now :(

ETA: Her hip and everything seem ok... and she doesn't have any grinding or crunching or any great pain (it seems) when I move her hip leg, knee, or ankle. The ankle seems a bit stiff, so maybe sprained? How do you give a goat asprin? The stuff tastes nasty!

15. jay13

jay13 New Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Central NC

Gave her her shots this morning, she was NOT happy about that. Ok, she is still limping pretty bad and its been bleeding again... Any suggestions? I looked closer at it, looks like a chunk of something right above her hoofline got scraped out? She won't hardly let me touch the foot at all. I wanted to put off the visit with the vet a while longer if at all possible so that he could U/S them both in one go so I know if she is preggers or not... :::sigh::: Suggestions? Comments? What should I be looking for as a warning sign?

16. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Re: Millie is limping **update, more questions**

Any new pictures of it? Honestly if it were mine I would probably take it into the vet to get an X-ray. It's not cheap, but its worth knowing if it's broken. Because if it is broken and heals the wrong way then you are looking at an even bigger vet bill.

17. jay13

jay13 New Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Central NC

there is no change to the appearance, or swelling or anything.... Just the new swelling... gonna keep an eye on it... will probably call the vet next week, cant afford an afterhours vet... $500 just for walking in the door. If it is still messed up monday I will have a vet take a look, we have a mobile vet that will come out.

18. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

I would try wraping it with like vet wrap and see if she lets it stay on. Put the wound kote on it or whatever that powder is.

19. jay13

jay13 New Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Central NC
    Re: Millie is limping **another update**

Ok, Millie seems to be doing a bit better now, I re-checked her leg, all seems to be fine and she doesn't yell at me when I manipulate the foot. The bleeding has stopped and it is scabbed over well. Will re-check of course in the morning when I do my A.M. rounds.

20. jay13

jay13 New Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Central NC
    Re: Millie is limping ***updated***

OK, quick update, Millie is doing much better, is putting some weight on it and walking pretty normal now. I figured out why it kept opening and why I couldn't keep a wrap on it.... she kept picking at it. Just like a 5 year old can't leave a scab alone neither, apparently, can a goat! It looks like the hoof itself my be cracked or scratched but that should grow out on its own right? She won't let me near enough to it to check. Oh, and I do have a vet coming out next week to give the girls a once over, check fecal and take a look at the new little boy we have coming home this weekend! :) Yay! Hooray for baby goats!