The Goat Spot Forum banner

201 - 220 of 235 Posts

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Praying for a good outcome for your doe.
You have all our support here.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #205
Your situation reminded me of this thread by @MuldrowBeeandGoatFarm
https://www.thegoatspot.net/threads/we-lost-hazel-yesterday.217873/
They basically had an "abortion storm", and came to the conclusion it was severe selenium deficiency that caused it. They gave the remaining does that were expecting MUSE and they all had healthy babies.
I just can't help wondering if it is a similar thing for your does.
To be honest that's what I think it is but when I asked for bose from the vet after the second abortion she said no she doesn't like that. I still haven't been able to get out and get the mineral she recommended but I don't understand how a loose mineral is going to help when they are this deficient. I may end up taking a single goat into a clinic just to have another vet prescribe it. I'll check out that thread. Yeah the coats and everything are rough on the does. The FF still has nice feeling coats but the one we put down did have a fish tail. I can't help but think I could have saved her if I would have tried sooner. She had a kid moving in her during early labor so all of her kids were not dead they just eventually drowned in there. I was even thinking chlamydia but one of them lost the kids super early and the second maybe mid pregnancy and one didn't take her first breeding and is now due end of March but I'm concerned it's going to be another bad situation. Hopefully because she's a big doe and she's been around the block a few times she would have issues passing anything if it does result in dead kids again. The goat that's down now too had a pretty good size difference in her kids too. Both were bucks. Today would have been day 150 for her so she went to term at least.

·
Registered
175 Posts
To be honest that's what I think it is but when I asked for bose from the vet after the second abortion she said no she doesn't like that. .
My vet ALSO said he didn't like to give bose while they were pregnant. Really frustrating, but we are trying to make it up with the gel.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #208
So I walked in this morning to give her pain meds and she was in a different spot meaning she got up and moved yay! I crush up her pill and suck up a yummy liquid to give her and she thinks it’s a tasty treat. Well after I gave her the meds she got up to follow me and attempt to yell at me(she’s pretty hoarse) because she wanted more lol. She’s clearly very sore and bruised because walking doesn’t look comfortable but she’s trying. She’s eating well and drinking good and her poop is turning to pellets again. She’s also chewing cud which is a good sign. Praying it goes up from here.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Yay! I pray she keeps improving!

·
Registered
5,932 Posts
Wow, I’m so sorry you’ve been going through this. It’s great she’s starting to feel better. I’m sending prayers your way!
Can you order Replamin and do loader doses on all your other pregnant does? It’s higher in selenium than normal selenium vitamin e gel. You give it for 5 days then once a week. It’s a bit pricey but it does help a lot. Also give calcium gummies and vitamin c tabs daily.
You can order Replamin from TSC, Jeffers.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #218
So she has what looks like an impacted vulva. I tried to spray it off with the hose today with no progress. My husband said maybe it’s a scab but would the whole vulva scab? It’s weird. I just don’t like the idea that there’s possibly stuff trapped in there and also how will she close up back there? I’ll try to get a picture tomorrow to see if anyone has any idea what I should do.

201 - 220 of 235 Posts