The Goat Spot Forum banner

221 - 235 of 235 Posts

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
It's like rock hard. I was gonna try to wiggle a q tip around it but my husband told me not to but how is she suppose to close up and heal with what seems like a rock inside her vulva?
I've never dealt with this. Is it crusty dried goo? I'd try gently soaking it off with warm wet compresses to get a better look.
Personally if it were me I'd get a vet involved because they need to free drain to clean out what's building up could be an infection.

·
Registered
30,002 Posts
Maybe dried blood and such..if upu can post a picture that would help.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #224 ·
I've never dealt with this. Is it crusty dried goo? I'd try gently soaking it off with warm wet compresses to get a better look.
Personally if it were me I'd get a vet involved because they need to free drain to clean out what's building up could be an infection.
Ughh I can't afford to keep having her out. So in the first 24 hours she wouldn't get up and she had loose stool so I'm worried it's old poop. I tried spraying it off yesterday but on the outside when it did start to separate some it looked like a scab but she shouldn't have a scab covering her entire opening. I've been hoping since she's up and moving a lot now that it would come loose. I've been letting her outside because it's just healthier to me then her being locked up in a shed. I won't put her in with the other goats yet because even though she's waking fine now she's still not 100%. She likes to hang outside the fence with them. She misses her mom and sister. I did let her sister out with her though. Today is day 9 of pain meds.

·
Super Moderator
58,252 Posts
Can you post a picture? Is it her vulva? Did she pass the placenta? It sounds like you do need to get that removed. She needs to flush out. By now she probably needs intervention and be flushed out with saline and iodine along with penicillin injections.

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
Ughh I can't afford to keep having her out. So in the first 24 hours she wouldn't get up and she had loose stool so I'm worried it's old poop. I tried spraying it off yesterday but on the outside when it did start to separate some it looked like a scab but she shouldn't have a scab covering her entire opening. I've been hoping since she's up and moving a lot now that it would come loose. I've been letting her outside because it's just healthier to me then her being locked up in a shed. I won't put her in with the other goats yet because even though she's waking fine now she's still not 100%. She likes to hang outside the fence with them. She misses her mom and sister. I did let her sister out with her though. Today is day 9 of pain meds.
I'm worried, 9 days of pain meds is an awful lot. Can you put some mineral oil or vasoline on it to soften it then apply warm compresses to soak it off. You don't want her vulva closed like that. It's not normal or healthy. You're looking at an infection waiting to happen..sorry! I understand about money being really tight! I'm in the same boat, it's hard.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #227 ·
I just looked at it again and didn’t have my phone to take a picture but where I did wet it it’s loosening up. It’s not closed completely because she was leaking stuff out of it. The vet actually pulled her afterbirth out ::yikes:: completely through me off but she had her hand in there to make sure there were no more kids and just pulled the whole thing out looked at it tossed it. It really does look like a scab it’s weird. Seems to be slowly peeling off so I’ll keep putting warm compresses on it. I’ve never seen this before. I had a Pygmy I pulled a baby for hours on before we ended up cutting the baby up to take it out and she bounced back so much faster. She never walked weird and behhed weird or scabbed up. Her pain med is meloxicam so it’s not a crazy strong pain med but you would think the swelling would have went down. I’m wondering if she will ever fully recover from this.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #228 ·
I'm worried, 9 days of pain meds is an awful lot. Can you put some mineral oil or vasoline on it to soften it then apply warm compresses to soak it off. You don't want her vulva closed like that. It's not normal or healthy. You're looking at an infection waiting to happen..sorry! I understand about money being really tight! I'm in the same boat, it's hard.
I thought about the Vaseline. I wanted to use a q tip and try to basically lube it up but it really looks like a scab. I'm weirded out. I may still do it later though since it seems to be coming loose a bit now.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #229 ·
It’s off now. It was basically a giant scab. She’s still super swollen back there and torn beyond anything I’ve ever seen. Now I have to worry about flies since it’s spring here now. I don’t think her vulva will ever look normal. Also seeing her not pregnant makes me look at her and know she was far to small to be bred despite the fact she was almost a year at breeding. Poor girl. I feel like a c section would have been easier to recover from then this.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #230 ·
Also I started that new mineral the vet recommended. It’s pretty high in copper but the selinum is lower then what’s in sweet Lix. Now some of my goats have scours. The two bucks and one of my does. I thought it was my entire herd at first and it freaked me out. They have been eating it like crazy which I was told that Will happen at first but to the point it hurt their rumens? Idk. We have also had a lot of rain a lot.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
How is everyone? I hope they are getting used to the new mineral and stopped scouring. Did you leave the sweetlix out as well?
I am still thinking about the possible selenium issue. Are you giving the remaining does that are still due to kid extra selenium in Replamin or gel?

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #232 ·
How is everyone? I hope they are getting used to the new mineral and stopped scouring. Did you leave the sweetlix out as well?
I am still thinking about the possible selenium issue. Are you giving the remaining does that are still due to kid extra selenium in Replamin or gel?
No more scours thankfully and they are getting peppier. Starting to hop around and play again. I'm starting to think the two left due are not even bred at this point and I'm fine with that because if I can get them well enough I may breed at least two of them for fall. However I had the buck in there for a while so idk if anyone got bred again for later on but I'm thinking maybe Khalessi just wasn't taking any breedings due to selenium issues. Do you think I can use the selenium vitamin e paste more then once a month? I used up all my sweetlix between giving the new stuff so I'm out. I'll take a picture of the label of this mineral. The amount of copper compared to sweetlix is a lot. I'm probably going to do two classes of wormers on everyone soon too due to all the rain and the stress everyone has went through. I may very well hold off breeding even longer. I just want to make sure I get everyone in optimal health. Also there's problems on getting my gold buck papered because his dam died and when she marked her dead she put the wrong date so now it looks like she was dead before he was born and I'm super aggravated.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Do you think I can use the selenium vitamin e paste more then once a month?
I think if I were you I would start a new thread for the selenium issue. That way more people will see it and respond.
I am glad they are all doing better.
Might be a good thing it the two are not bred at this point. It gives you time to heal.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
How is mom? I hope she’s ok!

221 - 235 of 235 Posts